As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Apple Playdough smells delicious and is a fun fall craft! Wrap handfuls of playdough in a clear gift bag and add a pretty green ribbon for a back to school craft or gift for classmates!
We love making playdough. It’s easy, lasts along time when stored properly, and it makes a great gift for friends and classmates. This apple playdough recipe is the perfect back to school craft, no matter how different school may look this year. 🙂 We have used our favorite playdough recipe for a few craft projects you can find here like our sparkly galaxy playdough, Easter carrot playdough or our festive Grinch Playdough.
APPLE SCENTED PLAYDOUGH
While having your playdough be scented is totally optional, it’s a fun addition to this recipe. Just add 1 to 2 teaspoons of apple pie spice mix to your flour and salt mixture before adding your liquid. This will give your playdough a nice scent of fall while playing.
INGREDIENTS FOR HOMEMADE PLAYDOUGH:
- 1 CUP FLOUR
- 1/3 CUP SALT
- 2 TEASPOONS CREAM OF TARTAR
- 1-2 TEASPOONS APPLE PIE SPICE MIX, OPTIONAL
- 1 CUP WATER
- 1 TABLESPOON OIL
- FOOD COLORING
ADDITIONAL SUPPLIES NEEDED TO MAKE AS APPLE PLAYDOUGH GIFTS.
- CLEAR PLASTIC TREAT BAGS
- GREEN RIBBON
- CONSTRUCTION PAPER
HOW TO MAKE PLAYDOUGH
- In a small saucepan mix together 1 cup flour, 1/3 cup salt and 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar. If using apple pie spice mix, whisk this is in now too.
- In another small bowl mix together 1 cup of water, 1 TBSP vegetable oil and desired food coloring. We used red and green.
- Slowly mix your water mixture into your flour mixture. Turn your stove on to medium heat and continuing mixing until the color is fully blended and the playdough begins to pull away from the saucepan. The batter will be lumpy but as you stir the playdough begins to form and sticks to itself.
- Place the playdough on a piece of parchment or wax paper and allow to cool to the touch. Once it’s cool to the touch knead for a few minutes until soft.
APPLE PLAYDOUGH GIFT:
- Once your playdough is nice and soft divide it into equal parts, whatever size you want to give as gifts.
- Place in clear plastic treat bags.
- Cut out a leaf shape out of green construction paper. Punch a hole in the paper and attach it to the ribbon.
- Tie ribbon around plastic treat bag and tie shut. Trim plastic bag to your liking.
For more Apple Back to School Ideas Try these: