Sparkly Galaxy Playdough: a soft colorful playdough that is perfect for out of this world play! Shades of pinks, purples, and blue blend together for a galaxy look. Add a touch of stars and glitter for a fun playtime activity.
Sparkly Galaxy Playdough
My kids love playdough and while we love the smell of store bought playdough, we usually prefer to make our own. From our Easter Carrot Playdough to our Grinch Playdough, this sparkly galaxy playdough has been added to our collection of fun modeling play. We found this idea over at The Kids Activities Blog, which is filled with fun activities for your kids! We decided we wanted to use our favorite playdough recipe to recreate this out of this world playdough.
This playdough is soft and lasts a long time if kept in an air tight container. To prevent the sparkly galaxy playdough becoming one solid color I would recommend mixing the separate colors as the kids want to play. You can make all the colors individually and they can either use them separately or together to recreate this galaxy playdough.
Supplies to make Sparkly Galaxy Playdough
- Cream of Tartar
- Vegetable Oil
- Food Coloring
- Confetti stars
- Star and Moon Cookie Cutters
How to make Sparkly Galaxy Playdough
- In a small saucepan over medium heat mix together 1 cup flour, 1/3 cup salt and 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar. In another small bowl mix together 1 cup of water, 1 TBSP vegetable oil and desired food coloring. We used black, pink, purple and teal.
- Slowly mix your water mixture into your flour mixture. The batter will be lumpy but as you stir the playdough begins to form and sticks to itself. It will also begin to pull away from the saucepan.
- Place the playdough on a piece of parchment or wax paper and allow to cool to the touch. Once it’s cool to the touch add your corresponding glitter to the playdough and mix until it’s fully incorporated.
- Enjoy the playdough! We love to use plastic knives and cookie cutters.
My kids love the touch of glitter and confetti stars. It really adds a pop of fun and what kid doesn’t like glitter? 🙂
How do I store this galaxy playdough?
Store your playdough in airtight containers or plastic ziploc bags for later use. We have found that our playdough can last up to a couple months if stored properly. If the playdough begins to dry out slightly you can add a touch of canola oil to your hands to mix and help smooth out.
For more hands on kid ideas try out these: