These orange blueberry sweet rolls are the perfect way to start your morning. The sweet berries and tart orange juice are a delicious blend of flavors!
You know that giddy feeling when you dream up a recipe idea and it turns out even better than you thought it would? Well, this is exactly what happened with these orange blueberry sweet rolls. I used Natalie’s Orchid Island Orange Juice for this recipe but any brand of your favorite orange juice will work just fine! I was originally going to make these as a classic orange roll but my oldest son loves blueberries and insisted I make something with blueberries and I am so glad I did!
As soon as these sweet rolls came out of the oven, I drizzled an orange juice glaze on top and let it seep down into all the swirls of the sweet rolls. My kitchen smelled amazing! Thankfully my in-laws were visiting that morning to help us eat the rolls, I’m afraid I would have eaten them all myself.
I swapped out a classic cream cheese frosting for a confectioners sugar and orange juice glaze. My #1 tip for this recipe is to roll the dough out nice and thin and when you are rolling your sweet roll don’t be afraid to push those blueberries down into the filling so they don’t all shift towards you.
I placed my orange blueberry sweet rolls in a pretty pie plate but you could place them on a baking pan or even in a 13 in. x in. baking pan. The longer you can let these rolls rise the softer they will be. I was a little short on time and didn’t let them raise as much as I wanted but they were just as good!
Orange Blueberry Sweet Rolls
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup warm milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg,whisked
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- zest of one orange
- 4 TBSP orange juice
- 1-2 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 tsp orange extract, can substitute vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 3-4 Tbsp milk
- 2 tsp. orange zest
- In a small bowl add warm water, yeast and sugar. Set aside for 10 minutes
- In a large bowl whisk together butter, milk, sugar, egg, and salt. Add yeast and slowly combine.
- Add three cups of flour and stir to combine. Add the remaining flour. Attach bread hook and mix for 5 minutes. Add more flour if needed until the dough is soft and not sticky. Cover dough with plastic wrap and allow to double in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Once dough has double in size punch it down and roll out on a floured surface. Spread filling onto the dough with a bakers brush, top with blueberries and roll up.
- Cut the dough into 12-15 equal pieces. Place dough onto a greased baking dish with rolls about 1 inch apart. Allow the rolls to sit for one hour.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and done in the middle. Keep an eye on them so the tops don't get too brown.
- Mix together the glaze ingredients and pour over the hot rolls. Serve immediately.
I covered these sweet rolls and stored them on the counter but you could also store them in the refrigerator. When you’re read to eat another one ( or two ) just pop them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds to warm them up a bit!
This post was brought to you by Natalie’s Orchid Island Juice but all opinions are 100% mine.