Simple Baked Oatmeal: a delicious and hearty breakfast filled with oats, berries and a delicious granola crunch.
As a teenager going to school I never made time for breakfast, despite my Mother’s request 🙂 I think most of us as teenagers were either sleeping until it was time to head out the door or taking all morning to pick out the perfect outfit and hairdo. Once I got my first job and eventually got married I began to add breakfast to my morning routine and I have never gone back..I guess you were right all along Mom 🙂 I have mentioned before that we have a bigger family breakfast over the weekend and our breakfast during the school week is a bit more “on-the-go” style. This simple baked oatmeal is not only delicious and hearty but comes together really quickly.
You can whip all the ingredients together in one bowl and bake it for about 30-40 minutes. A pan of baked oatmeal usually lasts a couple days here and it’s a perfect breakfast served with some scrambled eggs. I personally like reheat the oatmeal in the microwave for a few minutes with a splash of milk.
The granola on top is optional but it adds a fun crunch to the baked oatmeal. We used a honey oat granola but you could use a cinnamon, vanilla or whatever your family prefers. We also added fresh berries to our baked oatmeal which adds a touch more sweetness to the breakfast. My son Jacob loves anything with fruit in it so when I can add it in I will.
HOW TO MAKE BAKED OATMEAL:
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp flaxseed optional
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups almond milk Can substitute regular milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 3 cups quick oats
- 1 1/2 cup fresh cut fruit i.e. mixed berry
- 1 cup honey oat granola optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish, set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs.Add in brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and salt.Whisk until no lumps remain.
- Stir in milk, melted butter and flaxseed if adding it.Mix in oats.Fold in diced fruit.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and spread evenly.Top with honey oat granola, if desired for an extra crunch.Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until set.
You should try some of our other favorite breakfast recipes