Angel Food Cake Berry Trifle: a delicious sweet cake dessert topped with fresh seasonal berries and a delicious pudding filling.
Angel Food Cake Berry Trifle
When my husband and I got married we wanted to host a holiday family gathering each year and we decided on Fourth of July. It’s one of my favorite holidays because of the bbq’s, fireworks, parades and of course the celebration of our independence in this country. Every year we have a bbq at our house with all our favorite food. My grandfather requests this Angel Food Cake Berry Trifle dessert every year and it’s just become a natural must-have for the picnic table this time of year.
This angel food cake berry trifle is delicious all year round but the bright colors of red and blue makes this a perfect patriotic treat without spending a lot of time making it. Which is just the way I like to cook 🙂
For picnics and larger gatherings I like to layer this dessert in a large trifle dish. That way people can serve themselves, but if you have the time and the dishes, making individual trifle servings would be a pretty option for a smaller gathering!
SIMPLE INGREDIENTS NEEDED:
- ANGEL FOOD CAKE
- VANILLA PUDDING
- CREAM CHEESE
- POWDERED SUGAR
DIRECTIONS AND TIPS:
- Cut your Angel Food Cake into cubes.
- In a small bowl combine pudding mix and milk, whisk until smooth and thickened.
3. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Gradually add the powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
4. Add Cool Whip to the bowl and mix until combined.
5. To assemble the trifle: alternate layers of angel food cake, blueberries, pudding mixture, strawberries and repeat.
What can I use instead of Angel Food Cake?
While we prefer the light texture of Angel food cake, you could also substitute with a pound cake. You need a bit “heartier” of a cake to handle the pudding and layers.
Can I use other fruit in my layers?
Yes! As mentioned, we love the blue and red for Fourth of July but you can definitely use other favorites like blackberries, raspberries, grapes, etc. You can use bananas but be aware they will brown quickly so I would only use them if assembling right before your party.
Angel Food Cake Berry Trifle
- 1 angel food cake, cut into cubes you can make your own or use store bought
- 1 3.4 ounce box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups cold milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 8 ounces Cool Whip, thawed
- 2 pints blueberries
- 2 pints strawberries hulled and sliced
- In a small bowl, combine the vanilla pudding mix with the milk and whisk for two minutes; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese on medium speed until smooth and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Gradually add the powdered sugar. Beat until combined and smooth.
- Add the prepared pudding to the cream cheese mixture and gently fold and stir until completely combined. Add Cool Whip to the bowl and fold it into the mixture until no white streaks appear.
- To assemble the trifle, alternate layers of angel food cake, blueberries, the pudding mixture, strawberries and so on, until you get the top. You can mix strawberries and blueberries in the same layer if desired.
- Add a final layer of the pudding mixture, then arrange the remaining strawberries and blueberries in a decorative pattern. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- This tastes the best within 24 hours of making it, but leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
For more delicious Fourth of July Recipes try these:
- Strawberry Raspberry Pretzel Jello Salad
- American Flag Fruit Tray
- Red and White Rocket Kabobs
- Triple Berry Pie