As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These Unicorn Oreo Dirt Cups are a fun kids treat any unicorn lover will enjoy! Rainbow sprinkles, candy flowers and a fondant horn makes this a simple treat!
UNICORN OREO DIRT CUP
My daughter, like many little girls, is recently pretty big into unicorns. We have made some fun unicorn mini canvases and an adorable Unicorn Terrarium. These unicorn Oreo dirt cups are a delicious kids treat centered around these mystical magical ponies. They make great birthday party snacks, school parties treats (if allowed), and just for fun!
SIMPLE INGREDIENTS. “MAGICAL” TREAT.
This recipe is easily adaptable to your party theme colors, just change out the pink and purple food coloring for the colors of your choice. The ingredients for this kids treat are easily accessible. We typically use 9 ounce cups and can get about 12 cups depending on how thick your layers are.
What You’ll Need:
- 20 golden Oreos
- Small box of vanilla pudding
- Cool whip
- Food coloring
- White fondant
- Color mist: Gold
- Rainbow sprinkles
- Rainbow Daisy fondant Flowers (Wilton)
- Black Sharpie or marker
How to Make Unicorn Oreo Dirt Cup
- Draw wink eyes on your clear cups. We chose to do ours a tad bit higher than the middle of the cup.
- Crush Golden Oreos until crumbly.
- Whisk the milk and pudding mix together in a medium-sized bowl. Allow it to sit for about five minutes.
- Fold the cool whip into the pudding.
- Divide the pudding into two bowls. Add the food coloring to each bowl. I chose to use light purple and light pink for my unicorn dirt cups.
- Layer the cups with colored pudding and crushed golden Oreos. Make sure to end with golden Oreos on top.
- Use the white fondant to make unicorn horns. Spray each one with the gold color mist. Let them dry, turn them over and spray them again if needed.
- Once the painted fondant horns are dry, add them to the back center of the dirt cups.
- If you’d like, place a few flowers around the horns.
- Top the dirt cup off with some rainbow sprinkle and serve!
Unicorn Oreo Dirt Cups
- 1 package (3.9 oz.) vanilla instant pudding mix
- 2 cups cold milk
- 1 container (8 oz.) cool whip, thawed
- 20 Oreo cookies, we used GOLDEN (finely crushed, with filling removed)
- Whisk together pudding mix and milk in a medium bowl for 2 minutes. Allow to set for 5 minutes.
- Separate pudding mixture into two bowls and add food coloring to each bowl. I made a purple bowl and a pink bowl. You can use whatever colors fit your theme best!
- Fold in cool whip.
- Add one tablespoon of crushed cookies into the bottle of the plastic cups. We used 9 ounce cups.
- Top with a layer of pudding mixture.
- Repeat layers, alternating with the colored pudding, until ending with cookie mixture.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Make your unicorn horn by taking a 4-5 inch piece of fondant and roll it into a snake shape. Fold snake shape in half and twist the two pieces together until you form a twisted unicorn horn. Keeping the top of the horn tight to form a point. Spray with Color Mist Gold Spray and let dry. Repeat if necessary.
- Right before serving add your unicorn horn to the middle of the cup and top with rainbow sprinkles and candy flowers.
Can I make the unicorn dirt cups ahead of time?
You can make these a couple of hours ahead of time. Keep them in the fridge until you are ready for them. They can be stored for three or four hours before eating them. I wouldn’t recommend preparing these cups too much in advance as the cookies will begin to get soggy.
What’s the best way to crush the Oreo cookies?
We typically crush our cookies in a Ziploc bag by placing the cookies in the bag, closing it shut and hitting it a few times with a rolling pin. Crush until it’s crumbly. We also sometimes add our cookies to a food processor and pulse a few times until crumbly. We prefer to have small and large pieces of cookie crumbs for extra crunch.
Is there an alternative to the Color Mist Spray?
Sure! If you can’t find the color mist spray or want something a little more kid friendly you can color your unicorn horns with food coloring! Add a Tablespoon or two of water into a small dish and add a few drops of food coloring until the color is pretty saturated. Using a clean paintbrush, or specifically a food safe brush, paint your unicorns with your food coloring. The gold won’t shimmer as it does with the color mist spray but this allows you to choose from multiple colors with an inexpensive alternative. There are multiple food safe color sprays you can find as well to change the look.