Add some holiday flair to your favorite sugar cookie recipe to make these jolly Santa Cookies. These cookies are so simple to make and perfect for little bakers.
Easy, simple, and minimal ingredient are three words that I love to hear during the holiday season. Christmas is already a busy time of the year with Church events, school parties, and get together with friends and friends, baking shouldn’t be an added stress! While I love to make Christmas crafts and bake special treats for family and friends, often times I don’t have the time to do it all, nor do I want to be bothered by the mess.
Easy Santa Cookies How to Video:
These Santa cookies could not be easier! This recipe starts with your favorite sugar cookie recipe, or feel free to use ours below, uses store bought ready icing, M&M’s and mini marshmallows. The amount of time needed to decorate these cookies is about as minimal as the ingredient list. Grab your kids and a few plastic knives or spoons and let them make these delicious Santas till their hearts content.
SUPPLIES NEEDED TO MAKE SANTA COOKIES
- Sugar Cookies, cut into circles
- Icing, white and red (store bought or homemade)*
- Cookie decorating Icing, (store bought or homemade)**
- M&M’s, we used red
- Mini Marshmallows, cut in half
*Typically I prefer to make my own icing as I think it tastes better. However you can certainly use store bought Icing for this recipe. We tested this recipe with canned frosting and it worked just fine. You only need a small amount, so be prepared to have quite a bit of frosting left. If making your own frosting, I love this buttercream sugar cookie frosting recipe. I would definitely half the recipe if you are only making one batch of Santa Cookies.
** If buying this in the store, be sure this is cookie icing and not gel. The cookie icing will harden over time, the gel will not, which makes things harder if needing to transport.
How to Make Easy Santa Cookies
- Make batch of sugar cookies and cut them into circles. See our sugar cookie recipe below.
- Once cookies have cooled, begin frosting the top part of your cookie with red frosting. We only covered about 1/4 of the cookie.
- Add a line of mini marshmallows for the brim of the hat and a pom pom on the top. We cut our marshmallows in half so they were a little shorter. Placing the sticky side down into the icing.
- Add a beard of white frosting on the bottom of the cookie, being sure to leave a space open for the facial features.
- Add a red M&M nose and lastly your two black eyes.
These Santa cookies are so fun and would be great activity for Christmas Eve and the excitement of the night before Christmas, for a Grinch Party or to pass around at office parties!
For more Christmas Treat Ideas your should check out these:
The Perfect Sugar Cookie for Cutouts
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar you can add 1/4-1/2 cup additional sugar for cookies not being topped with icing but I personally don't think it's necessary
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch can lower to 1/4 cup for a slightly softer cookies
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cream together butter, sugar, and salt in a stand mixer with paddle attachment.
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add flour, cornstarch, and nutmeg. Mix on low until fully incorporated. Pop in refrigerator for 30 minutes if needed.
- Use a rolling pin to roll all of the cookie dough out to a thickness of 1⁄4 – 1/2 inch on a lightly floured surface. Cut cookie dough into desired shapes using your favorite cookie cutters.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes (depending on thickness) or until edges are very lightly browned. Do not overbake.