As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
All you need to make these cute penguins are toilet paper rolls, cardstock, Black Sharpie and some glue! It’s a great winter craft or preschool Letter of the Day activity!
Paper Roll Penguin Craft
Don’t throw your toilet paper rolls away! Repurpose them into these cute little penguin friends! With a handful of other basic supplies, you are well on your way to creating a fun winter craft the kids will just love. They are perfect for a cold winter afternoon at home or for a classroom “Letter of the Day” activity. They are a perfect addition to our collection of Paper Plate Winter Animals.
Penguin Craft for Kids
This toilet roll penguin is a great craft for even the littlest of crafters. With just a little help from adults, they can make their penguins all their own.
We decided to make both a boy and girl version with only one more additional supply – pink glitter foam. If you don’t have any glitter foam or if don’t want the added expense you can cut out a bow from colored cardstock.
Toilet Paper Roll Penguin How to Video:
When crafting with littles, it is great to not have to pre-plan or make a special trip to a craft store. While we love crafts that require more supplies and a longer craft time, we equally enjoy quick 15-minute power craft sessions that help get some creative juices flowing and hands-on playtime in. This supply list is short and sweet making it a great last minute craft idea:
Supplies for Penguin Craft
- Toilet paper roll – you can also use a paper towel roll that has been cut in half
- Card stock paper – black, white and orange – we prefer to use card stock paper over construction paper but either will work!
- Black Marker
- Glue – we use a mixture of kids Elmers glue and hot glue (more info in directions)
- Pink Glitter Foam or Card stock, optional if making a girl version
How to make Toilet Paper Roll Penguin
- Cut out a rectangular shaped piece from your black card stock that will fit around your paper roll. You will also need to cut two black flippers from your black paper.
- Cut out a white belly and two small eyes from your white card stock.
- Cut out a small orange beak from your orange card stock.
- Cut out a small bow, if using.
- Wrap your rectangular piece of paper around your toilet roll and glue in place. For this first piece I prefer to use hot glue to give the craft a stronger base. Of course only adults should use hot glue.
- Glue your remaining pieces to the body of your penguin. Once dry we like to carefully pull the flippers so they don’t lay flat to the body.