Journal Pen Holder

Journal Pen Holder

One thing I wish I was better at is keeping a journal!  Not a journal where I necessarily keep my personal feelings for the day, but a journal to keep the memories of the day!  Every day, my two boys do something that makes me smile, sometimes cry and feel extremely extremely blessed to be there Momma! Days go by like a blur and I know I will forget the memories or the silly things they said or did that had me chuckling for an hour. Some days I have a hard time remembering what I had for lunch the day before or how a bottle of juice ended up with the dishes!  Don’t believe me?  Check out this picture from my INSTAGRAM….:)

IMG_0301

I’m really trying to keep “notes of the day” and keeping a pen right near the journal definitely HELPS!! I made a fun journal pen holder to make sure there is always one there when I need it!

Pen Holder Directions

Materials:

Fabric

Elastic

Sewing Machine

Hot Iron

1.  Measure the length of your journal.   Mine was about 8 1/4 inches.

2. Cut out two strips of fabric 2 inches wide by the length of your journal and a third strip about 2 inches longer than half of your first two strips.  Confusing?  My two strips were 8 inches x 2 inches.  My third strip was 6 inches by 2 inches. ( slightly longer than half)  You also need to cut a piece of elastic.  I cut mine 1 inch smaller than the length of my journal so it would fit nice and snug over my journal

3.  Using the smallest strip of fabric, fold your edge over a 1/4 inch press with a hot iron and repeat. Top stitch. ( This will be your pocket)

4. Lay your pocket piece on top of one of the first two strips.  Sew the pocket sides to hold in place.  You don’t need to sew the bottom.

5.  Lay your final piece on top of your main piece ( pretty sides together.  Sew down both sides.  You don’t need to sew the top or bottom.

6.  Turn both of your ends inside of itself and press with a hot iron.  Insert the end of your elastic and sew.  Repeat on the other side.

Journal Pen Holder 2

Signature

Comments

1. 4

says

What a clever idea. I love this, and they would make a great gift with a beautiful note book.
    Don’t worry about the juice in the cupboard, I once opened the fridge to find the washing up liquid in there, no idea how that happened!

2. 8

says

I know what you mean about wanting to remember all of the funny things your kids say and do. Time goes by way to fast! I’ve been pretty good about writing that stuff down. Love the pen holder. I need this on my blog binder so I don’t spend an hour a day trying to hunt down a working pencil! Thanks for sharing at The Makers. I hope you have a great week.
    Corey @ Tinysidekick recently posted…The Makers {link party no. 4}My Profile

3. 19

says

I love this idea! I am really picky about which pens I use for things too, so this would help. And I agree with you about recording memories. I wrote a post about turning a composition book into a cute memory book, and how it makes a great baby shower gift! Take a look if you get a minute. http://diysisters.com/memory-book-baby-shower-gift-idea/ BTW, I found you at the Creativity Unleashed link party!
    Bernadette recently posted…Touches of LoveMy Profile

4. 20

Christine says

What a brill idea! one I will adapt for MY journal.
    I always wished I had kept track of my children’s days – they went so fast…. although we still have a few words that didn’t grow up and fly the nest – hangcoaters being one!!!

5. 26

Jana johnson says

I love this. I thought of something like this because I keep putting lumps in my books because I put pens in them. Now you gave me a great idea. I’m going to make one today. I like this idea too for a gift, we give a journal to children and this would go with it very nicely. I’ll see how easy it is for me to make, I’m a remedial sewer. Thanks!

• 27

Karen Mc says

Great idea. I am going to go and cut one to make right away. I have my purse filled with pens, now I can take some of them out. Thanks for this idea.
      My daughters name is also Katie.

6. 29

JoEllen says

My 10 year recently learned to sew on the sewing machine with her Grandma. She found this cute little project and hopes to do this the next time she is at Grandma’s house. Thanks for the cute idea!

Trackbacks

1. […] Katie from Made to be a Momma shows how to make a journal pen holder.  The fabric pocket is just big enough to hold a couple of pens or pencils.  A strip of elastic holds it to the cover of your journal so you’ve always got a pen to jot down your thoughts.  The fabric pieces you need are just 2″ wide so it’s a good scrapbusting project.  Go to her blog for the tute. […]