Tomato Basil Shrimp Pasta is a simple and delicious meal that is great for busy week nights!
My husband and I love pasta dishes. While our personal favorite is classic spaghetti and meatballs this tomato basil shrimp pasta comes in a close second. I wanted to create a dish that was simple for a week night dinner. This tomato basil shrimp pasta can be at your dinner table in about 30 minutes and is great served with a toss salad and some Italian bread. The fresh flavors of basil and diced tomatoes is what really makes this dish delicious!
We like to used cooked shrimp so that all it needs to do is warm up with the tomato sauce before adding it to the pasta. You can always use fresh shrimp but I would make sure you add it to the beginning of the cooking process. While your tomatoes are cooking you may need to add some chicken broth as the water evaporates. The amount of chicken broth depends on how much “sauce” you want.
To finish this dish off we like to top it with fresh basil and grated parmesan cheese. If you don’t like shrimp you can always swap it out for chicken.
Tomato Basil Shrimp Pasta
- 1/2 lb spaghetti
- 1 TBSP. vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 can, 14 ounce petite diced tomatoes or crushed may be used
- 1/2 TBSP. dried basil, can use fresh as well
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 12-24 pieces frozen precooked shrimp
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese additional for garnish
- Prepare your pasta according to the package.
- In a medium saucepan lightly saute garlic in vegetable oil.
- Add diced/crushed tomatoes and basil. Allow to cook down for about 10 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and allow to cook down until your desired "sauce" consistency. A few minutes before finishing add shrimp and parmesan cheese and continue cooking on low until shrimp is heated through and cheese has melted (about 5 minutes)
- Top with fresh basil and additional grated parmesan cheese.
Photos by The PKP Way
If you like this pasta dish I bet you will like our Herbed Chicken Fettuccine pasta! It’s another delicious pasta dish that can be made in 3o minutes or less!