As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Gingerbread Men Cookies: are a delicious and soft classic gingerbread cookie recipe. The kids will love decorating them at home or at school parties. They are a fun cookie to bring to an annual cookie swap.
Gingerbread Men Cookies
Gingerbread Cookies are one of my favorite Christmas cookies to make each holiday season. It’s a classic cookie recipe that is fun for the kids to help cut out with their favorite cookie cutters and decorate when they are finished baking. This recipe was first featured in my Kid’s Treat Book but I wanted to share it here with you as well.
These gingerbread cookies are filled with all the flavor you would expect in a gingerbread cookie like cinnamon, ground cloves, ginger, and nutmeg but with a touch of softness. We don’t like crunchy gingerbread cookies in this household 🙂
While my kids love to decorate and make the classic gingerbread men, this recipe also looks pretty with snowflake shapes. You can even cut out non-conventional Christmas shapes like flowers, dinosaurs, trucks and more.
How to make Gingerbread Men Cookies:
- Cream together butter and sugar in a stand mixture or large bowl. Add molasses and egg yolk.
- In a medium bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Add flour mixture to the butter mixture and slowly mix together until ingredients are incorporated.
- Form the dough in a ball and keep in bowl, place in refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Then roll doll into ¼ -1/2 inch thick, depending on how thick you want, and cut with your desired cookie cutters.
- Place cookies 2 inches apart on a baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges are slightly brown. Remove from oven and allow cookies to completely cool before icing.
- Prepare your icing and place in a cookie decorating bag with a tip. We like to use Cookie Glaze for decorating our cookies, once it dries it hardens and allows for stacking and packaging for gifts. You can also use buttercream if desired.