As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chocolate Chip Cut Out Cookies: a delicious cut out cookie recipe filled with mini chocolate chip. Dipped in chocolate it makes a sweet treat great for parties, cookie exchanges, and holiday gifting!
These Chocolate Chip Cut Out Cookies are so delicious and such a fun twist from the typical sugar cookie cut outs. They are light and flaky and remind me more of a shortbread cookie. They are filled with mini semi-sweet chocolate chips which adds a touch of sweetness, these cookies are not overly sweet. You can add a cookie glaze icing to the top of them or even dip them into some melted chocolate which is perfect for holiday parties! My husband prefers his cookies with nothing on them.
Chocolate Chip Cut Out Cookies
I’m always on the look out for a new and fun cookie recipe and my mom came across these chocolate chip cut out cookies from Sweet Sugar Belle a few years ago and we have loved them every since! We love them plain and we love eating them dipped in some melted chocolate with some brown jimmy sprinkles. They are great for kid birthday parties, cookie exchanges and look great all packaged up with ribbon for a holiday gift.
I’ll be honest, this recipe can be a little finicky and crumbly at times but here are a few simple tips to make this recipe a breeze!
My dough is crumbly and dry what can I do?
- It’s not too late to fix this recipe! A couple factors can be at work to make your cookie dough dry and crumbly. Maybe your butter wasn’t as soft as it should be. Counter butter in the summer is much softer than counter butter in the winter. Make sure your butter is nice and soft.
- If your dough is crumbly and hard to form into a soft dough add 1/2 tsp of water at a time until a soft dough forms.
How should I refrigerate chocolate chip cut out cookie dough before baking?
After making this recipe quite a few times over the last couple of years I have found that I prefer to place my cookie dough in between two pieces of parchment paper and roll out immediately. Then place in the refrigerator for about 1 hour. Remove from fridge and cut with your cookie cutters.
How many cookies does this chocolate chip cut out cookie recipe make?
The amount of cookies this recipe yields is all dependent on the size cookie cutters you use. When using 2 inch round cookie cutters I have been able to get about 50-60 cookies. If you are making these for a kid party and using fun cookie cutter shapes the amount you will get will be less 🙂
Chocolate Chip Cut Out Cookies
- 1 cup butter , softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ½ cup light-brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 - 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate mini chips
- In a large bowl cream the butter, sugars and salt until creamy. Add vanilla and egg yolk and beat well.
- Gradually add the flour ( I start with 2 cups of flour and add more until soft dough forms - if you dough is too crumbly you can add 1/2 tsp of water at a time until the dough is soft. Be careful not to add too much) beat until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips. Divide the dough into two and roll each section until about 1/4 inch thick. Wrap with cling wrap and allow to chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Uncover pre-rolled cookie dough and cut into desired shapes. Bake for 10 minutes or till golden brown. Once your cookies are cooled you may ice them or dip them in melted chocolate.
- if dealing with crumbly dough add a 1/2 teaspoon of water to dough until soft dough forms. Be careful not to add too much water.