As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Dinosaur Cake: a simple and fun step by step tutorial to make you own dinosaur cake that is perfect for any dino lover!
My second son Carter has been a dinosaur loving kid since he learned to roar, so it was no surprise when he asked for his 6th birthday party to be a dinosaur theme. I immediately began to search for ideas of what I wanted to create for his birthday cake. We found a few different ideas that we combined into one fun dinosaur cake that my son just loved! It’s a dinosaur cake that is perfect for all ages, and the best part is that the dinosaur figurines are a fun gift they get to keep after the cake is gone.
Dinosaur Cake Supplies:
You only need a few basic ingredients and a few steps to complete your cake.
- Homemade Chocolate Cake, baked into 2 or 3 layers, we chose to do 3
- Buttercream frosting, canned or your favorite homemade version
- Homemade chocolate ganache – by mixing a 1:1 ratio of chocolate chips and cream. Heat cream just until it starts to simmer, stir in chocolate chips until smooth.
- Oreo cookies
- dinosaur figurines (affiliate links)
How to make a Dinosaur Cake:
- Once your chocolate cake has been prepared and cooled, begin layering your cake with buttercream frosting. I chose to give the outside of the cake a very light crumb coating to give it a more rustic dinosaur feel, so we added thicker layers of icing in between our layers.
- Add your crumb coating on the outside of your cake layers.
- Prepare your ganache coating and with a large spoon, pour ganache in the middle of the cake and near the edges pushing the ganache over the sides of the cake. You will want to work quickly so that the ganache doesn’t get hard.
- Crumble Oreo Cookies and sprinkle on top of the cake.
- Wash the dinosaur figurines and push them slightly into the top of the cake.
- I cut out a “ROAR” sign with my Cricut machine to add an extra fun element but that is optional!
If you liked this cake you should check out our construction candy cake!