As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Easy Baked Macaroni and Cheese recipe is a family favorite recipe! It’s perfectly cheesy and can be eaten directly from the stovetop or baked to a crispy perfection.
Easy Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Nothing beats a delicious family favorite baked macaroni and cheese recipe as a side dish. It’s a dish that both kids and adults love. We have this baked macaroni and cheese at almost every family gathering. It’s perfect for picky eaters and just screams “comfort food.”
Crispy Baked Breadcrumbs
We start off by making this recipe on the stovetop but we love to add an extra crispy topping of bread crumbs to the top of the macaroni and cheese and bake it till it’s a perfect crisp. My husband prefers it straight from the stovetop, so feel free to make it however you and your family like it best. We also like to add a touch of seasoned salt to our macaroni and cheese. It adds an extra pop of flavor and really brings out the cheesy-ness of this dish.
How to make delicious Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Begin by boiling your elbow or favorite shaped pasta. We use 1 full pound for this recipe. Make sure to cook it just to al dente as it will continue to bake in the oven and you don’t want mushy noodles.
- In a separate sauce pan being making a roux with butter and flour.
- Freshly grated cheddar cheese tastes bests and melts easier but we have used pre-shredded cheddar cheese thousands of times and it’ still turns out great!
- For a delicious cheesy twist swap some of the cheddar cheese for some freshly shredded cooper cheese! Most of our family members prefer it with the cooper cheese!
Baked Macaroni & Cheese
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp. seasoned salt
- dash of pepper
- 4 1/2 cups milk
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4-1/2 cup bread crumbs, seasoned or plain
- 1 lb cooked macaroni
- Melt butter in pan. Remove from heat. Slowly mix in flour, salt, seasoned salt, and pepper.
- Add ½ cup milk slowly to blend and then return to heat and gradually add remaining milk. Add shredded cheese and stir until bubbly.
- Pour over cooked macaroni and put in one large casserole dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs (optional). Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbly.