Easy Broccoli & Cheese Casserole– a delicious and easy side dish that is filled with chunks of broccoli, melted cheese and a buttery crunch from crackers.
Easy Broccoli & Cheese Casserole
Some recipes just become traditional, like ham and pineapple stuffing for Easter, grilled burgers in the summer, this broccoli and cheese casserole is one of our annual Thanksgiving dinner stars. Nothing about this casserole screams “fall” but it does hit the spot when comfort food is calling. A few years back my Mom made this casserole for Thanksgiving and it has been requested every year since. It’s simple, delicious and easy…which is key when preparing multiple dishes for a holiday feast. 🙂
You only need a few simple ingredients to put together this easy side dish.
- 1 large (16 ounce) pkg frozen broccoli ( can also use fresh and just steam them)
- 1 (12 ounce) box Velveeta cheese
- 1 sleeve Ritz Crackers
- ¼ cup butter
**While I know Velvetta cheese may not be the “healthiest” option we take the road of “everything in moderation.” If you prefer to make your own you could make a cheese sauce similar to sauce found in our baked mac and cheese. (I would 1/2 of even 1/3rd the recipe)and then drizzle it on top of the broccoli instead of using the chunks of Velveeta cheese.
How to Cook Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
- Cook broccoli according to package directions. (Cut large pieces with kitchen scissors if needed) You can also use fresh broccoli and steam it until soft.
- Place broccoli into a 9 in. x 9 in. square casserole dish.
- Cut Velveeta into medium size chunks and evenly spread on top of broccoli.
- Melt butter in microwave. Crush Ritz crackers ( not overly crushed- some larger pieces can remain) with melted butter.
- Sprinkle cracker mixture on top of broccoli and cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and crumbs are light brown.
For more delicious side dishes you should try these: