Classic Herb Stuffing Recipe: a delicious Thanksgiving stuffing recipe that is filled with bread cubes and seasonings. Baked until it has a slightly crisp topping and soft insides, great with turkey and cranberry sauce.
Classic Herb Stuffing
Just like many households around the world our Thanksgiving table is always filled with delicious food. For years we would always skimp on the stuffing and just use box mixes and while I think they taste fine, nothing beats the taste of a homemade classic herb stuffing recipe. This classic herb stuffing comes together really quickly and only uses a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. It pairs perfectly with traditional turkey, cranberry sauce, pineapple stuffing, and your other favorite dishes.
I like to use the pre-bagged bread cubes that you can find at your local grocery store. I typically find them in the bakery section. You can use most anytime of bread cube but for this recipe I used french bread cubes. You can also make your own bread cubes by drying them out on the oven but be sure to get them completely dry.
This recipe makes enough for about 6-8 people depending on the serving size of who you are feeding. 🙂 My whole family loves stuffing and we typically need to double this recipe. This classic herb stuffing is one of our favorite side dishes to serve at Thanksgiving. It’s definitely a dish we look forward to enjoying year after year.
For more delicious recipes that will be perfect for a Thanksgiving meal try these:
Classic Herb Stuffing
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1-4 - 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 8- 9 cups dry non-seasoned bread cubes
- 2 1/4- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth**
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried poultry seasoning
- 1 egg, whisked
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat, add celery and onion and mix until onions are translucent. Remove from heat and mix in dry seasonings.
- Add bread cubes to a large mixing bowl. Pour whisked egg over bread cubes and mix until combined.
- Pour butter mixture over bread cubes and gently mix until incorporated. Add 2 cups of chicken broth and again mix until everything is combined being careful to not mush the bread crumbs too much.
- Pour into a 9x9inch baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees covered for about 30 minutes remove foil and continue to cook for about 15-20 until top is slightly crispy. Keep an eye on your stuffing so it doesn’t dry out.
Photos by The PKP Way