Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread- a delicious zucchini bread that is moist, flavorful and filled with tiny bits of chocolate chips! It’s a family favorite and a great way to use up your fresh zucchini!
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
One of my best friends, Sarah, has a delicious zucchini bread recipe that has been a favorite in her family for years. She shared her recipe with me a few weeks ago and I combined her recipe with one of my family recipes and this delicious chocolate chip zucchini bread was born. It’s everything you want in a zucchini bread, bits of fresh zucchini, a soft and moist inside and tasteful bites of mini chocolate chips in each mouthful!
Even if you don’t like chocolate in your zucchini bread you just need to leave it out and it’s just as delicious! For this recipe you can pour half of your batter into one loaf pan and then add your chocolate chips to the remaining batter. Pour your remaining chocolate chip filled batter into the second loaf pan and top with some mini chocolate chips for a pretty presentation and just another bit of chocolate 🙂
How to make delicious Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- You will want to start with 4 whole cups of shredded zucchini. Once you have measured out your 4 cups then you can pat it dry with a paper towel to remove any excess moisture.
- We like to add a bit of “spice” such as ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a dash of ground cloves to our zucchini bread. We love the flavor it brings out in the bread but it is optional if you don’t like those type of spices.
- Don’t skimp on the vanilla extract. It adds a depth of flavor that is expected in a zucchini bread.
- As I mentioned above, if you don’t like chocolate chips in your zucchini bread just leave them out. This is the same exact recipe we use when we want regular zucchini bread, we just leave out the chocolate chips 🙂
In most of our baking recipes we prefer to use mini chocolate chips over the regular size, like in our chocolate chip muffins. They aren’t as heavy and I personally think they spread around the batter more evenly. The mini chocolate chips also add a touch of chocolate in every bite without having the chocolate overpower the other flavors.
Once your batter has been poured you will bake both loaves in a preheated 325 degree oven for about an hour. I would begin checking the centers at about 50 minutes baking time since all oven temps vary slightly. If you notice the top or sides are getting too brown just place a piece of foil on the top until it’s finished baking.
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- 4 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup applesauce, we use unsweetened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 TBSP vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 TBSP cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2-3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Shred zucchini until you have 4 measured cups of zucchini. Pat with a paper towel to remove excess moisture if needed.
- Whisk together applesauce, oil, eggs and vanilla extract in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl whisk together remaining dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix just until combined and no white streaks appear. Fold in zucchini and mini chocolate chips, if using.
- Divide batter into TWO greased loaf pans and bake at 325 for roughly 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the middle is clean. ( If the tops are getting too brown place a piece of tin foil on top.)