As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These Salt Dough Ornaments are a classic holiday craft with a sparkly twist! These pretty snowflakes are tied together with a wooden bead and shimmery ribbon.
Snowflake Salt Dough Ornaments
These Salt Dough Ornaments are the perfect craft to make for your tree this year! Salt dough ornaments are a classic holiday craft that has been around for generations! It’s always so fun to see the different shapes and concepts people have created over the years from handprint ornaments to ornaments cut with cookie cutters….salt dough ornaments are great because they require minimal supplies, is easy to work with and look fancy hanging on your tree! They are great to make as Christmas gifts or even to attach to a Christmas gift as a personalized gift tag.
Salt Dough Ornament How to Video:
Supplies to Make Salt Dough
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup salt (we used FINE sea salt for a more textured look) but fine table salt makes a more smooth look and is cheaper)
- 3/4 -1 cup water
- Snowflake cookie cutters (I used these)
How to Make Salt Dough Ornaments
- Mix flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Add 3/4 cups of water and mix until combined. If needed, add more water. You want the consistency to be that of playdough. Not too wet and not too dry.
- Once the mixture is combined knead for 5-10 minutes until smooth, adding a touch more flour or water if necessary.
- Roll out to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut shapes with cookie cutters.
- Carefully transfer shapes to parchment-covered lined baking pan.
- Once placed on the pan, you may have to adjust the points of the snowflakes a tad so that they dry correctly.
- Using a straw, add a hole in one of the points of the snowflakes.
- Dry in the oven at 200 degrees Fahrenheit for 2-3 hours or until dry.
- Once dry, add a layer of Extreme Glitter or Sparkle Mod Podge.
- String a 14-inch piece of jute onto the snowflake.
- Add a white bead and tie to keep it in place.
- Hot glue a ribbon on the knot.
- Tie the jute together at the top for hanging.
These Salt Dough Ornaments don’t have to be made just like this! They can be completely customized to fit your decor! For example, if you don’t like glittery ornaments, you can use regular Mod Podge instead of Extreme Glitter or Sparkle Mod Podge. You can also customize your ribbon for hanging the ornaments. You can use festive colors such as red, green, gold, silver, and even striped ribbon! The choice is up to you!
Leave a Reply