As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These Lemon Raspberry Muffins are bursting with delicious flavors from raspberries and a touch of lemon. Add a sprinkle of coarse sugar for an added touch of sweetness.
LEMON RASPBERRY MUFFINS
One of my personal favorite baking flavors is lemon and I love it even more when it’s paired with berries like our Lemon Raspberry Waffles, Lemon Raspberry Buckle Cake, or our Lemon Blueberry Scones. These lemon muffins have a cup of fresh or frozen raspberries that makes for a delicious and yummy muffin bursting with all your favorite spring/summer time flavors.
Can I use Frozen Berries in Muffins?
YES! You can swap fresh berries for an equal amount of frozen berries. Be sure to keep the berries frozen until just before adding to your batter and then fold in carefully. This will help keep your batter from discoloring. Also, sometimes when using frozen berries your batter will get thicker because it’s cold but this is normal and your muffins will still bake normally.
Don’t Skimp on the Lemon Zest
The fresh lemon zest in this recipe really does add a burst of flavor to these muffins that they won’t have otherwise. We used the zest from two small lemons and it was perfectly lemon flavored! If you have a large lemon you can just use one.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR MUFFINS:
- Flour & Baking Agents
- Fresh raspberries, can use frozen
- Zest of two lemons
- 2 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- Coarse sparkling sugar
The best trick to fluffy tender muffins is gently mixing the wet and dry ingredients just until combined. When it’s time to add the raspberries give your batter a few gentle folds to incorporate and then place into your muffin liners.
ADD A TOUCH OF SWEETNESS
We love to add a touch of coarse sparkling sugar to the top of our muffin batter before baking. This adds a touch of sweetness and a slight bakery crunch to the tops when baked. As an alternate, you can mix together a simple glaze by mixing powdered sugar with a touch of milk until a pourable consistency. While the muffins are still warm pour the glaze over the muffins.
Lemon Raspberry Muffins
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups raspberries, fresh or frozen
- zest of two lemons
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coarse sparkling sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add sugar and butter in a medium bowl and beat until smooth.
- Add eggs and blend until smooth. Mix in vanilla and lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl mix together flour, salt, lemon zest and baking powder. Add to sugar mixture a little at a time, alternating with the 1/2 cup milk.
- Carefully fold in raspberries. Divide batter among muffin tin filling about 1/2 - 2/3rds full.
- Sprinkle coarse sugar on top and bake for 18 -22 minutes, depending on oven. I check at 18 minutes.