As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
French Toast Sticks are a delicious breakfast recipe in a bite size version! They are dipped in a sweet cream and cinnamon batter and then cooked until golden brown and crisp. They are great served with berries and maple syrup.
French Toast Sticks
I love a sweet breakfast. I’m all for a breakfast like our egg & sausage burritos but I really love a breakfast like fluffy pancakes and blueberry scones. These french toast sticks are a delicious bite sized breakfast the kids love to eat! They come together almost as quickly as regular french toast and they are great to freeze for another morning.
What bread do I use for French Toast?
I prefer to use Texas Toast bread that is at least a day or two old. The drier the bread the better. You don’t want to use fresh bread as even if you put it in the custard mixture quickly it will still fall apart. If needed you can cut your bread into strips and then place it in a 300 degree oven for 8 -10 minutes to help dry it out and crisp it up.
Can I freeze French Toast?
Let your French Toast cool on a cooling rack to help keep it crisp rather than letting it steam on a plate. Once your french toast is completely cool, place them on a baking sheet and pop them in the freezer until partially frozen, about 1 hour. Once solid, place the french toast into a freezer bag and label it. When you are ready to enjoy your french toast you can reheat it in the microwave for a few seconds or a 350 degree oven until heated through.
How to make French Toast Sticks
- In a large bowl, whisk together together the eggs, half and half, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
- Cut each bread into three or four sticks depending on how thick you want your pieces. The thicker they are, the sturdier they will be.
- In a large skillet or griddle over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Working in batches, dip a few of the bread sticks into the egg mixture and flip until well coated. Let the excess egg mixture drip off and place bread sticks on skillet and cook until brown and crispy, about 3-5 minutes.
French Toast Sticks
- 8 slices thick-cut Texas toast
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup half and half, cream, or you can use milk
- 2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- unsalted butter for cooking
- maple syrup for serving
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, half and half, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
- Cut each bread slice into thirds ( so you end with four sticks )
- In a large skillet or griddle over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter
- Working in batches, dip a few of the bread sticks into the egg mixture and flip them until well coated. Let the excess egg mixture drip off and then place the bread sticks in skillet or griddle without overcrowding the pan.
- Cook until each side is golden brown and crispy, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer the french toast sticks to a plate and sprinkle them with powdered sugar. Serve with maple syrup.
What a great idea! I never thought of making french toast in sticks. My kids absolutely loved this it was such a hit when I made it for breakfast.
These are seriously the most delicious breakfast! My family is obsessed! Thanks for sharing!
We loved these. My little boys loved dipping them in their own ramekin of syrup. A great finger food for breakfast.