Candy Cane Cake Mix Donuts: delicious and simple donuts made with a cake mix and topped with crushed candy canes for a perfect Christmas treat!
This little bite sized donuts are full of one of my favorite Christmas time flavors—peppermint. These candy cane cake mix donuts are great for all year but there is just something about peppermint and candy canes during Christmas time. Knowing you all love my mini pumpkin donuts I knew I needed to make another version for you all to enjoy! I decided to use a vanilla cake mix as my base but my husband wants me to try a chocolate cake mix next time. I bet the flavors of chocolate and peppermint would be divine! For this recipe I used my mini donut pan again but you can certainly use a bigger donut pan. You may just need to adjust the baking time 🙂
These candy cane cake mix donuts are so simple to make. With just three ingredients you can turn any cake mix into delicious bite sized donuts. I made these delicious mini lemon donuts that are perfect for a springtime brunch. All you do is start with you favorite flavor cake mix and add 1 egg, 1/4 cup canola oil and 1 cup of water. Easy! For this particular candy cane recipe I added a teaspoon of peppermint extract to the batter but that step is optional.
I bake my mini donuts at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes. Keep an eye on them though…you may need to bake them shorter or longer. You can also bake them at 400 degrees for the same amount of time which will result in a crispier donut and still delicious!
For the icing I mixed 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar with 1 tablespoon of melted butter and 3 tablespoons of milk. We then dipped the cooled donuts in the icing and then in some crushed candy canes.
These are mini bites of Christmas and so yummy! I definitely am going to try a chocolate base next time I make them 🙂
Candy Cane Cake Mix Donuts
- 1 box cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp . peppermint extract , optional
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 TBSP . melted butter
- 2-4 TBSP milk
- Mix together cake mix, egg, canola oil, water and peppermint extract until smooth. Pipe into a greased mini donut pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes. Keep an eye on them. You may need to take them out sooner or keep them in longer.
- While donuts are baking, mix together powdered sugar, melted butter and milk. I like to start with 2 tablespoons of milk and add more until I reach my desired consistency.
- Crush 4-5 candy canes. Dip cooled mini donuts in icing and then in the crushed candy canes.
I also made a fun video to show you just how simple these mini donuts are! I would love to see and hear about some of the fun cake mix donut versions your family loves!
If you like these donuts you should try both the mini pumpkin version and the lemon donuts!