As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Black Crayon Watercolor Silhouettes are a fun and simple watercolor craft for kids! A black crayon, watercolor paints and a cut out stencil of your childs favorite character is all you need for a colorful piece of art.
Black Crayon Watercolor Silhouette
Our princess watercolor silhouette art was such a fun project that me and my boys decided we needed to make a version that matched their favorite characters and not just their sisters. 🙂 For this watercolor craft we decided to use a black crayon instead of a white, like in our princess version, and some brighter watercolors. These black crayon watercolor silhouettes turned out so fun and my boys can’t wait to make some to frame and display in their bedroom.
Supplies need to make Black Crayon Watercolor Silhouettes
- Stencil or silhouette shape
- White Cardstock
- Black Crayon
- Liquid Watercolors (affiliate link)
Tips for using the best supplies:
- Use a Cricut or Silhouette cutting machine to cut out silhouette shape characters and designs. You can find 100’s of silhouette shapes from Etsy that are perfect for this project! Once cut you want to remove the actual shape and use the remaining pieces as a stencil.
- Make sure you use a white cardstock, the watercolor will seep through regular paper. Once fully dried you may need to place a heavy book on top of the paper if the corners begin to curl.
- Liquid Watercolors will give you those rich primary shade colors that make these characters really pop! If you want something more subtle like in our princess watercolor silhouette you can use a regular watercolor pad of paint. The more water you use the lighter the watercolor shade will be.
How to make Black Crayon Watercolor Silhouettes
- Cut out stencil using Silhouette or Cricut machine. Discard the actual shape and use the remaining piece as a stencil.
- Trace stencil with black crayon onto a piece of paper and color in completely.
- Use water colors to paint over your image.
- Allow to dry and display as desired 🙂
There are so many fun ways to personalize these for any kids favorites. You can change out the shapes and you can use their favorite colors to make it something just for them! If you give this craft a try make sure you tag us at #madetobeamomma on all social media channels! We would love to see it!