Ambrosia Fruit Salad: a simple and delicious fruit salad that is combined with sweet whipped topping and sprinkled with shredded coconut. Great for large gatherings, picnics and more!
Ambrosia Fruit Salad
I don’t know about you but anytime we have a large family gathering, holiday party, or picnic there is always some form of a fruit salad or jello dish to pass around. Some of our favorites include Pistachio Pudding, Creamsicle Fluff, Cherry Coke Jello Salad (which my husband loves) or one of my personal favorites Strawberry Raspberry Pretzel Jello salad. They make the menu feel complete and are more often than not very budget friendly because they feed a small crowd for very little expense. This ambrosia fruit salad is just as simple to put together and has a delicious tropical taste which is perfect for the Spring and Summer months, but can of course be enjoyed all year round!
What ingredients do I need to make Ambrosia Fruit Salad?
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this classic ambrosia salad and you can swap out ingredients that you or your family don’t like!
- Sour Cream
- Pineapple tidbits
- Mandarin oranges
- Sweetened shredded coconut
- Colorful mini marshmallows
- Red maraschino cherries
How to make Ambrosia Salad?
This ambrosia salad couldn’t be easier! You can use one bowl from start to finish which means less mess in the kitchen!
- In a large bowl whisk together sour cream and frozen whipped topping until well combined.
- Fold remaining fruit ingredients and mini marshmallows into whipped topping. Chill before serving.
- Top with a bit of shredded coconut and cherry.
How long does Ambrosia salad last in the refrigerator?
As with most fruit and jello salads I personally think they taste best after sitting in the refrigerator for a few hours. This allows the flavors to blend together. We prefer to enjoy our ambrosia salad the day it’s made or the very next day. This is a perfect recipe to make ahead to save time! This ambrosia fruit salad lasts about 3 days in an airtight container stored in the refrigerator. Much longer and I think the marshmallows get too soggy and the water from the fruit starts to separate the “cream.”
Ambrosia Fruit Salad
- 8 ounces CoolWhip, thawed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 11 ounce can pineapple tidbits, well drained
- 1 11 ounce can mandarin oranges, well drained
- 1 jar red maraschino cherries, well drained
- 1 bag marshmallows, colorful
- 1/2 - 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- In a large bowl whisk together thawed CoolWhip and sour cream until well combined.
- Add remaining fruit ingredients and marshmallows. Stir until everything is covered with the Cool whip mixture. Chill for 1-2 hours before serving
- Top with sweetened shredded coconut and a few maraschino cherries right before serving. Enjoy!