As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These gingerbread cookies are soft and full of all your favorite gingerbread flavors! Rolled in a bit of sugar and baked to perfection these are one of our favorite cookie recipes!
Best Soft Gingerbread Cookies
These cookies are full of flavor from ingredients like molasses, cinnamon, ground ginger, and cloves. They are soft cookies which make these a nice change from the typical gingerbread cookie that tends to be harder. They are rolled in a bit of sugar and then baked to perfection. I promise these will be a new favorite holiday cookie recipe!
Ingredients for Gingerbread Cookies
- Baking Soda
- Spices – ginger, cloves, cinnamon
TIPS & FAQ’s
Can I use Cookie Cutters with this recipe?
No, this gingerbread cookie recipe is a softer cookie dough and would be too sticky to roll out and cut with cookie cutters.
Which Molasses is Best for Baking?
The best molasses for baking is light, unsulfured molasses. I like to use Grandma’s brand.
Can I Freeze These After Being Baked?
Yes! Once your cookies have been baked and have cooled off completely you can add them to an air tight ziploc bag for up to 4 weeks for the best taste.
BEST Soft Gingerbread Cookies
- • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- • 1 teaspoon baking soda
- • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- • 1/4 teaspoon salt
- • 3/4 cup butter softened
- • 1 cup white sugar
- • 1 egg
- • 1 tablespoon water
- • 1/4 cup molasses
- • 4 tablespoons white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, then stir in the water and molasses.
- Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture.
- Shape the dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the remaining 4 tablespoons of sugar.
- Place the cookies 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. You don’t need to flatten them.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Allow cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Makes approximately 30 cookies. Store in an airtight container.
Debbie from ONE LITTLE PROJECT shared this recipe as a guest post in December 2013. New Photos and additional tips have been made.