It’s that time of the year when all the vegetables in our garden and my parents garden start yielding the fruits and vegetables of hard labor. I normally have a much bigger garden than I was able to grow this year but I have just been so busy with the kids that I just decided to stick with a few small things this year. One of our favorite things to grow is zucchini. Zucchini isn’t necessarily my favorite vegetable to eat in a savory form but I do love it in a carb form and these Zucchini Applesauce Cookies fill that craving! 🙂 These zucchini cookies are made with applesauce instead of butter and whole wheat flour so they are a bit better for your waistline!
These cookies are not only better for your waistline, they are also soft, moist and have a delicious blend of spices! My kiddos loved them and it was a great way to get them to eat a bit of vegetables that they would have normally just pushed away. These cookies tasted just as yummy without the icing so feel free to leave it off if you would rather.
Zucchini Applesauce Cookies
- 1 3/4 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2/3 cups of sugar
- 1/3 cup of light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups zucchini shredded
- 2 cups of powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In one bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
- In another whisk together applesauce, sugar, light brown sugar, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Slowly mix your wet and dry ingredients together until blended.
- Fold in your zucchini.
- Drop onto a cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Allow to cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes and then move cooling rack.
For the Glaze
- Whisk together all three ingredients until blended. Drizzle on cookies and allow to slightly harden.