As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These salted caramel thumbprint cookies are a soft sugar cookie filled with salted caramel and drizzled with melted semi sweet chocolate.
It’s officially cookie season!! Cookie season is by far the best season if you ask me. The cookie creations are endless. I have dozens of wacky cookie recipes up my sleeves and this one is just the beginning. Ever since I had salted caramel for the first time I have been O-B-S-E-S-S-E-D! Caramel has always been one of my favorites but adding salt to it… OH MY GOODNESS! If you’ve never had salted caramel you seriously need to make these cookies and try it out.
This cookie idea came to me in a dream. Seriously, I dream about food. I’m weird, I know. I woke up and wrote down the idea then I put the idea into action. They taste ever more amazing than I expected them to. Which is a really good thing for you and I. If you want to be the talk of your Christmas party or cookie swap this recipe is definitely for you.
If you want a more chocolatey flavor you could totally dip the tops of the cookies in chocolate once the caramel has cooled and set. Then the caramel would be a surprise for everyone who didn’t know 😉 I personally am not the biggest fan of chocolate so the drizzle was the perfect amount for me. I didn’t want to wash out that amazing salted caramel flavor.
If you aren’t the best chocolate drizzler you can simply put the melted chocolate into a small zipper lock baggie and cut a small tip of the corner off and go to town. Another fun but messy way is using a fork instead of a spoon. The spoon sometimes will leaves large globs of chocolate on your cookies whereas the fork leaves a more even drizzle.
Salted Caramel Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 11 ounces caramel bits
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips melted
- 1 teaspoon flaky salt
- In the bowl of your stand mixer cream together butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until fluffy.
- Mix in the egg, vanilla, salt, and baking soda until thoroughly combined.
- Add in the flour and mix until incorporated.
- Form cookies into heaping tablespoon sized balls. Line a large baking sheet with plastic wrap and drop balls of dough onto the lined sheet. Using a round teaspoon press down the center of each dough ball.
- Freeze for a minimum of 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Spread cookies 2 inches a part on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes (centers will slightly raise) Lightly press down the centers with the same teaspoon you used the first time. Bake for an additional 2 minutes and remove from oven to cool.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt together caramels and water stirring every 30 seconds until fully melted. Fill the centers of the cookies with the caramel. Top with a pinch of the flaky salt and drizzle with melted chocolate.
- Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!