I don’t know about you but as soon as the leaves start changing and the weather gets cooler it’s full on baking season in my household. I’m sure I am not the only one 🙂 I remember during the Thanksgiving and Christmas season my mom would always be making goodies and our home always smelled so delicious. One of my favorites kids treats are cookies and I have the perfect sugar cookie recipe for cutouts. The secret ingredients: cornstarch and a hint of nutmeg and cold butter. The cornstarch helps the cookies keep their shape, the cold butter keeps everything together and the nutmeg adds a little touch of sweetness.
Nothing is more frustrating than putting all that time into making cutout cookies only to have them come out fat and distorted. My mom and I made our own recipe where we combined a few of our favorites and Im telling you these cookies have turned out great every time! The edges and outside are harder so it’s easy to decorate but the inside is soft and flaky. Exactly the way a cutout sugar cookie should be.
The Perfect Sugar Cookie for Cutouts
- 2 cups cold butter cubed
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, you can add 1/4-1/2 cup additional sugar for cookies not being topped with icing but I personally don't think it's necessary
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cream together butter, sugar, and salt in a stand mixer with paddle attachment.
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add flour, cornstarch, and nutmeg. Mix on low until fully incorporated.
- Stir in the sour cream.
- Use a rolling pin to roll all of the cookie dough out to a thickness of 1⁄4 inch. You may also work with half of the dough at a time if needed. If your cookie dough is sticky you may lightly flour your surface. You can also place the dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes if necessary. Cut cookie dough into desired shapes using your favorite cookie cutters.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Do not overbake. Remove from oven.