As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I don’t know about you but as soon as the leaves start changing and the weather gets cooler it’s full on baking season in my household. I’m sure I am not the only one 🙂 I remember during the Thanksgiving and Christmas season my mom would always be making goodies and our home always smelled so delicious. One of my favorites kids treats are cookies and I have the perfect sugar cookie recipe for cutouts. The secret ingredients: cornstarch and a hint of nutmeg and cold butter. The cornstarch helps the cookies keep their shape, the cold butter keeps everything together and the nutmeg adds a little touch of sweetness.
Nothing is more frustrating than putting all that time into making cutout cookies only to have them come out fat and distorted. My mom and I made our own recipe where we combined a few of our favorites and Im telling you these cookies have turned out great every time! The edges and outside are harder so it’s easy to decorate but the inside is soft and flaky. Exactly the way a cutout sugar cookie should be.
The Perfect Sugar Cookie for Cutouts
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar you can add 1/4-1/2 cup additional sugar for cookies not being topped with icing but I personally don't think it's necessary
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch can lower to 1/4 cup for a slightly softer cookies
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cream together butter, sugar, and salt in a stand mixer with paddle attachment.
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add flour, cornstarch, and nutmeg. Mix on low until fully incorporated. Pop in refrigerator for 30 minutes if needed.
- Use a rolling pin to roll all of the cookie dough out to a thickness of 1⁄4 - 1/2 inch on a lightly floured surface. Cut cookie dough into desired shapes using your favorite cookie cutters.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes (depending on thickness) or until edges are very lightly browned. Do not overbake.