Hi Made to be a Momma readers! I’m Emily from My Love for Words, and I’m extremely excited to share this tasty Christmas treat with you today.
I must admit that I’m not really a “less is more” kind of girl when it comes to food… especially desserts. I don’t think there’s a sweet yet that I haven’t liked, and cookies are brownies are among my favorites so what’s better than putting them together? Please welcome the Brookie.
In the spirit of the season (and one of my favorite flavor combinations) I’ve added some peppermint too. <insert yummy noises here>
One of my favorite things about this recipe is that it’s not too sweet, and it’s extremely easy to personalize depending on the season or your preferences. Just substitute the peppermint for something else like orange zest or coffee to intensify the chocolate flavor.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweeted cocoa Hershey's Special Dark 100% Cacao
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 sticks softened butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- crushed candy canes
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, butter, vanilla, and egg with an electric mixer.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the bowl containing the sugar.
- Add small amounts of peppermint extract until you like the flavor of the batter.
- Take a spoonful of dough and flatten on cookie sheet about an inch apart.
- Cook for 7-9 minutes at 350 degrees.
- When they're done, remove them from the oven and immediately top with the crushed candy canes. The candy cane pieces may seem like they aren't sticking to the cookie, but they will after a few minutes of cooling. After 5 or so minutes on the cookie sheet, transfer to a wire cooling rack and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy these as much as our family does, and I wish you a very happy holiday season!