Oven Baked Zucchini Mozzarella Sticks: a healthier twist on a simple appetizer! Low fat mozzarella cheese and zucchini makes this a snack you can feel good about!
This post is brought to you by Tastefully Simple. All opinions are mine.
One of my favorite appetizer to order at most restaurants is mozzarella sticks. When gooey melted cheese and marinara sauce are paired together what’s not to love right?! Even my kids are addicted 🙂 I love being able to take a classic appetizer or dinner dish that my family already loves and sneak some “good for you” foods in it. While the zucchini in these mozzarella cheese sticks don’t get as gooey and as soft as the cheese it still gets soft and tastes delicious! What better way to get your kids to try a new healthy veggie then to pair it with a little bit of cheese 🙂
I added a few other fun flavors like Tastefully Simple’s Seasoned Salt and their Spinach and Herb Seasoning and the flavors melted together perfectly! Adding the zucchini was such a delicious twist on their Baked Mozzarella Sticks Recipe from their Birthday Entertaining Collection.
First, you will need to cut up a few low-fat/part-skim mozzarella sticks and zucchini ( skin removed). My pieces were about 3 inches in length.
Insert a toothpick into the middle of both a mozzarella stick and a zucchini stick.
Dip your zucchini mozzarella sticks in the flour mixture, egg wash mixture and lastly the bread crumb mixture.
Bake them in the oven for about 12-15 minutes at 425 degrees. Yum!
Oven Baked Zucchini Mozzarella Sticks
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Tastefully Simple's Seasoned Salt , divided
- 3 large eggs , beaten
- 2 cups plain Panko bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Tastefully Simple's Spinach & Herb Seasoning
- 12 low- fat or part-skim mozzarella cheese sticks , cut into 3 inch long pieces
- Olive oil spray
- In shallow dish, combine flour and 1 teaspoon Seasoned Salt. In second shallow dish combine eggs and ½ teaspoon Seasoned Salt. In third shallow dish combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, Spinach & Herb Seasoning and remaining ½ teaspoon Seasoned Salt.
- Insert a toothpick into the middle of both a cheese stick and zucchini stick. Dip zucchini cheese sticks into flour, then the egg and roll in bread crumbs. Make sure all the sides of the zucchini and cheese are covered.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place zucchini cheese sticks on baking sheet covered with a Silpat. Spray tops with olive oil spray. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted. (Do not overbake or cheese may escape.) Remove toothpicks carefully
- Serve with marinara sauce.