As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These Mashed Sweet Potatoes are easy to put together and taste delicious! This recipe will be great for a holiday meal or catching up on the weekend.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
My husband loves sweet potatoes and while it took me until I was an adult, I enjoy them now too. My favorite way is roasted in an oven but these mashed sweet potatoes are a close second. The best thing about serving this dish is that it really doesn’t take very long to make. It will take a few minutes to cook the sweet potatoes on the stove and the rest is as simple as blending the ingredients together.
Ways to Serve These Delicious Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Add a bit of butter: Right before serving the sweet potatoes, place a square or two of butter on top. You may also want to sprinkle with a little cinnamon.
- Melt marshmallows on top: Place the mashed sweet potatoes in a baking dish and cover the top of them with marshmallows. Heat the dish up just enough in the oven to melt and brown the marshmallows.
- Add chopped nuts: Pecans or walnuts are both good choices for a topper for mashed sweet potatoes. You can also add chopped nuts to the potatoes while you are blending them. If you want to double your toppings, add a layer of chopped pecans before adding marshmallows on the top.
Easy Recipe. Minimal Ingredients.
This recipe is about as simple as it gets. The ingredients are common items and most likely already in your pantry. The dish is so easy to make it will soon be a family favorite for holiday dinners like Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- sweet potatoes
- half and half (or milk)
- butter ( or butter substitute)
- maple syrup
How to Make Delicious Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Dice the sweet potatoes into 2-inch chunks.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Place the sweet potato chunks in the boiling water and let them boil about 15 minutes, or until they are tender.
- Drain the sweet potatoes using a colander and let them set a few minutes to allow the water to evaporate entirely.
- Blend potatoes, butter, and syrup using an electric hand mixer on low speed. Add the half and half or milk a little at a time until the potatoes reach the desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Top with cinnamon if desired and serve warm.
Tips for Making Creamy Sweet Potatoes
- After the sweet potatoes have cooked and drained well, mash them before they get too cool. They should be warm, but not hot.
- Don’t just add all of the half-and-half to the mix. Add it gradually so you don’t accidently get too much, and the sweet potatoes turn out less firm.
- Serve the dish while it is fresh and warm. This delivers the absolute best flavor.
This recipe for mashed sweet potatoes is sure to please family and guests. It has just enough sweet to almost seem like it should be served as a dessert. Not only is it flavorful, it is loaded with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Your family will love it and you’ll love serving it to them.
Easy Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 6 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- kosher salt
- 3/4 cup half and half ( or milk )
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- freshly ground black pepper
- fresh thyme leaves for serving ( optional )
- Dice potatoes into 2" chunks.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and boil until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain well and allow to sit in the colander a few minutes to make sure all water evaporates.
- With an electric mixer on low, blend potatoes with butter and maple syrup. Add cream or milk a little bit at a time to reach desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot and top with a dash of cinnamon if desired.
Leave a Reply