As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Marbled Snowflake Sugar Cookies: Colorful cookie dough and a simple and sweet snowflake icing design makes these a pretty cookie to enjoy during the holidays.
These marbled snowflake sugar cookies are delicious and so simple to make. They are a spin off of our other popular seasonal marble cut out cookies like our fall leaf cookies and our Easter Bunny Cookies. This version is perfect for the holiday season. The classic Christmas colors of red and green make these a fun cookie option to package for family and friends or to share at a cookie exchange.
Can I use store bought sugar cookie mix?
You sure can! You will want to separate your mixed dough into three bowls and color them accordingly. We love to use our favorite sugar cookie recipe you can find below… The sugar cookie recipe we use is a cross between a sugar cookie and a short bread cookie. The sugar cookie recipe is one of our family favorite recipe that we use all the time. It is not a super sweet cookie dough as we typically top it with a delicious buttercream frosting. If you prefer a sweeter cookie base, since these cookies aren’t frosted, you can add a 1/4 cup more sugar to the recipe.
What kind of food coloring should I use for marbled sugar cookies?
I tend to prefer gel food coloring as the colors are more saturated, tend to be brighter, and there are many more options of colors, but regular liquid food coloring works as well!
How to make Snowflake Cookies:
- Prepare sugar cookie dough according to below directions or package instructions. Separate dough into separate bowls, amount depending on how many different colors you would like. We chose to keep some dough uncolored, red, and green.
- Add dollops of colored sugar cookie dough next to each other and roll out as you would normally. Don’t over roll or your cookie dough colors will begin to blend too much.
- Using a circle cookie cutter, cut out circle cookies and bake.
- Once cooled top with buttercream frosting or pipe with icing. I prefer to buy store bought to make things easier.
The Perfect Sugar Cookie for Cutouts
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar you can add 1/4-1/2 cup additional sugar for cookies not being topped with icing but I personally don't think it's necessary
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch can lower to 1/4 cup for a slightly softer cookies
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cream together butter, sugar, and salt in a stand mixer with paddle attachment.
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add flour, cornstarch, and nutmeg. Mix on low until fully incorporated. Pop in refrigerator for 30 minutes if needed.
- Use a rolling pin to roll all of the cookie dough out to a thickness of 1⁄4 - 1/2 inch on a lightly floured surface. Cut cookie dough into desired shapes using your favorite cookie cutters.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes (depending on thickness) or until edges are very lightly browned. Do not overbake.