Key Lime Pie: a perfect combination of tart and sweet! The homemade graham cracker crust is simple and delicious! The perfect springtime pie!
I’ve always been a sucker for lemon and lime desserts. I like them almost as much as I like my raspberry desserts. 🙂 When my husband and I got married (April- springtime!) I was so excited to start baking and cooking and trying new recipes. In the beginning of my marriage I had a love /hate relationship with pie crust. I could just never get it to work right for me so my first pie that I ever made for my new husband and I was a Key Lime Pie with a simple no fail graham cracker crust!
This recipe only calls for one can of sweetened condensed milk and a nice amount of key lime zest, don’t skimp on the lime zest! It really does make a difference. I find the recipes with two cans of sweetened condensed milk a little too sweet for us. We like our pie a tad more tart. My husband likes his desserts but doesn’t like things too sweet 🙂
Tips for making this delicious Key Lime Pie Recipe:
- Use a homemade graham cracker crust if you can! It only takes a few extra minutes but it’s so yummy!
- Don’t skimp on the lime zest. It adds such a punch of flavor.
- For a sweeter pie you can add a 1/4 cup more of sweetened condensed milk. We like our pie a little more tart than sweet.
- Be sure to pour your pie filling into a WARM baked pie crust.
Key Lime Pie
Graham Cracker Crust:
- 8-10 Graham Crackers
- 5 TBSP butter
- 3 TBSP sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 tsp. lime zest
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2-3/4 cup fresh lime juice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Place graham crackers in a food processor and process until small crumbs have formed. Stir in butter and sugar. Press into a 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- Whisk together egg yolks and lime zest until light green in color. Whisk in condensed milk followed by the lime juice until smooth. Allow to set while pie crust cools slightly. Crust must still be warm. Pour into warm graham cracker shell.
- Bake in oven for about 20 minutes, allow to cool on a baking rack for one hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Top with whipped topping and garnish with lime slices.
Photos by The PKP Way
The homemade graham cracker crust tastes delicious! So much better than store bought but hey, this girl isn’t against a store bought crust if lack of time calls for it..so you do what you got to do 🙂 Just whisk all your pie filling ingredients together and pour them right into that warm baked pie crust.
Top it with some whipped topping and some extra lime zest for a pretty presentation 🙂 This key lime pie is so yummy and perfect for spring and summer time.
If you like this pie you should try our Triple Berry Pie