My little family loves pasta night. My husband and I could eat an Italian dish twice a week with no complaints and I bet some of your families are the same. This Italian sausage squash bake is so delicious and the squash and sometimes zucchini is the perfect substitution for the heavier pasta noodles. My mom made this recipe one Sunday afternoon as a side dish and we just loved it! I decided to add some Italian spices and sausage to make it into a heartier meal and my husband quickly declared it a new favorite.
I’ve made this recipe a few times with spices I had on hand and recently decided to add a couple tablespoons of Tastefully Simples Mama Mia Marinara Sauce Mix and it was delicious both ways! I love how the Mama Mia Marinara Sauce Mix adds a bit more of an zesty Italian punch to the dish. Serve this dish with a fresh garden salad and some warm garlic bread and you have a perfect pasta type meal without the calories and the heavy feeling.
Italian Sausage Squash Bake
- 1 lb Italian sausage cut into 1 in. chunks
- 1 squash diced into 1/4 in. thick pieces.
- 1 zucchini diced into 1/4 in. thick pieces
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 14.5 oz. cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1-2 tsp. Mama Mia Marinara Sauce Mix or 1-2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 Tbsp. dried basil
- 1/4 cup chicken broth optional
- 3 Tbsp. parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- Add coconut oil and Italian sausage to a skillet and brown sausage. While the sausage is continuing to cook add diced squash and zucchini. Continue to cook for 2-4 minutes or until zucchini and squash begin to tenderize. Add canned diced tomatoes and spices and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes, add chicken broth if mixture becomes too thick. Sprinkle parmesan and mozzarella cheese on top and continue to cook until cheese is melted. Serve hot and enjoy!
This post was brought to you as part of Tastefully Simple’s Project Simplicity program. All opinions expressed are 100% mine!