As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot Applesauce is the speedy way to enjoy delicious, homemade applesauce! This easy applesauce recipe tastes amazing and cooks in under 30 minutes. The whole family will love this comforting, cozy applesauce!
Easy Applesauce in the Instant Pot
Who else LOVES a warm or cold, cozy bowl of applesauce during the fall? And since fall is peak apple season, it’s only appropriate! I’ve created and shared a few other applesauce recipes on the blog before, including Instant Pot Strawberry Applesauce and Instant Pot Peach Applesauce. You all loved them so much that I had to share our classic Instant Pot Applesauce recipe this season!
Regular applesauce recipes can simmer on the stove for almost an hour. I much prefer making my applesauce in the instant pot! It only cooks for 5 minutes and turns out amazing every time. I recommend making extra to share with your friends and family!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Applesauce
You only need 5 ingredients for this instant pot applesauce recipe (plus water), most of which are pantry staples!
- Apples — You can use any kind for this recipe. I like using a mix of red and green apples, but the choice is up to you!
- Lemon juice — The acidity of lemon juice compliments and balances the sweet flavor of apples. Although you can use the kind you buy in a bottle, fresh is always better!
- Cinnamon — This warm spice is essential to any apple recipe. If you’re a big cinnamon lover, feel free to bump up the quantity in your batch!
- White or brown sugar — White sugar adds a classic sweetness to this instant pot applesauce, while brown sugar adds more of a rich, molasses flavor. Either goes great with applesauce, so go with what you prefer/have on hand!
- Vanilla — A good dash of vanilla makes the world of a difference in this recipe. It may be unconventional for applesauce, but trust me on this one!
How to Make Applesauce in the Instant Pot
- First, peel your apples. Then, cut them into chunks. There’s no need to be perfect here since they will all cook down!
- Next, place your chunks in the Instant Pot and pour your water, lemon juice, vanilla, and cinnamon on top.
- Then, lock the lid on the pressure cooker and make sure the valve is set to seal. Cook for 5 minutes on high pressure. When the cook time is up let the pressure naturally release for 20 minutes. Manually release any remaining pressure.
- For chunky applesauce, use a potato masher to mash your apples. For a smoother applesauce, an immersion blender to blend the applesauce directly in the pot until smooth.
- Taste the applesauce while it’s still warm and mix in 1 tbsp of sugar ( at a time) if desired. You may not even want any, especially if your apples are on the sweeter side!
What are the best apples to use for applesauce?
Green apples tend to be firmer and more tart, while red apples are sweet and softer. That’s why I like to use a combination of both in this recipe! For example, pairing Granny Smith apples with Gala apples would yield a great, balanced apple sauce that doesn’t turn out too firm or mushy. However, it’s perfectly fine to use whatever apples you can find or have on hand. It will be delicious either way!
What else can you add to applesauce?
Want to jazz up your instant pot applesauce? There are a few extra ingredients you can add to this recipe to make it extra special. Although it is scrumptious as is, these optional ingredients would work great in this instant pot applesauce recipe:
- Maple syrup, as a substitute for sugar
- Butter, for extra richness!
How do you store leftover homemade applesauce?
To store this applesauce in the fridge, let it cool slightly and then transfer it to an airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for about 4-5 days. To freeze it, place it in a freezer-friendly container after letting it cool completely. Make sure to only fill your container about ⅔ of the way full, since the applesauce will expand as it freezes! Once frozen, it will last for up to 6 months.
Instant Pot Applesauce
- 10 apples, we use a mixture of green and red
- 1 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup water
- white or brown sugar
- Peel apples. Halve and core them and cut them into chunks (no need to be perfect)
- Place chunks in instant pot and pour water, lemon juice, vanilla and cinnamon on top.
- Lock the lid on the pressure cooker and make sure the valve is set to seal. Cook for 5 minutes at HIGH PRESSURE. When the cook time is up let the pressure naturally release for 20 minutes. Manually release any remaining pressure.
- For chunky applesauce use a potato masher. For a smoother applesauce use an immersion blender directly in the pot until smooth!
- Taste the applesauce while it’s still warm and mix in 1 tbsp of sugar (at a time) if desired. You may not even want any!
More cozy apple recipes
Craving more delicious eats for fall? Try these other apple and applesauce recipes out!