As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Hot Chocolate Cookies are a delicious blend of hot cocoa flavors in a small cookie! Start with a cake mix and add a marshmallow baked to perfection for a delicious winter cookie!
HOT CHOCOLATE COOKIES
This is one of my kids favorite recipes during the winter months. Hot chocolate cookies are as good as they sound and this recipe is even easier than most because it’s made from a store bought cake mix. Topped with half of a marshmallow and broiled to a golden perfection, it’s a blend of classic hot cocoa flavors in the small form of a cookie.
How to Serve these Delicious Hot Chocolate Cookies
These cookies are good all by themselves. But there are plenty of ways to serve them. Here are a few ideas:
- Serve them with a big mug of hot cocoa or steaming cup of coffee.
- Take them to Christmas parties.
- Use them at your next cookie exchange.
- Serve them alongside a tall cold glass of milk.
SIMPLE INGREDIENTS. DELICIOUS COOKIES
You only need 5 ingredients to make these delicious cookies, one of which is a boxed cake mix! Here are the ingredients you need:
- 1 Box of Devil’s Food Cake Mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup of canola oil
- Regular sized marshmallows cut in half width-wise
- ½ to 1 cup of chocolate chips
DIRECTIONS FOR MAKING HOT CHOCOLATE COOKIES
- Mix the cake mix, eggs, and canola oil all together in a large mixing bowl. The batter will be a bit on the “thicker” side.
- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and place them on a parchment-covered baking sheet.
- Bake at 375-degrees for 8 to 9 minutes. They should be just slightly underdone.
- While the cookies are baking, cut marshmallows in half width-wise. When you take the cookies out of the oven, place the marshmallow halves on the warm cookies. They should be placed with the cut side down.
5. Place the cookies in the oven on the BROIL setting. Watch them closely so they don’t burn. You want the marshmallows to be golden brown.
6. Melt ½ to 1 whole cup of chocolate chips in the microwave. Use a microwave-safe bowl and heat them until they are fully melted. The directions for melting them are usually on the bag.
7. Use a fork to drizzle the melted chocolate chips on the cookies. It shouldn’t be too heavy you should still be able to see the marshmallow.
How do you store the hot chocolate cookies?
Once the cookies have thoroughly cooled, they can be stored in an airtight container. They can be stored for up to two days. When you are placing the cookies in a container, don’t stack the cookies. If they are stacked, they can get stuck together. Place wax paper between layers or lay them in a single layer to prevent them from sticking together.
What do I do if the dough feels too soft?
If you think the dough is too soft to make into balls, you can let it chill for a little bit. Put the dough in a bowl that can be sealed with a lid or cover it with plastic wrap and set it in the fridge. It should chill long enough that it is firm and easy to mold.
How do I know when the marshmallows are done?
Checking the marshmallows is kind of like roasting them over a fire. Some people like them barely brown. Others want them burnt. And some want the marshmallow to be just softened and slightly melted by the fire. I like to broil the cookies with the marshmallows on top until the marshmallows turn golden brown. If you don’t want them that brown, take them out of the oven as soon as the marshmallows start to get nice and gooey.
These hot chocolate cookies are delicious and perfect for the winter months and the holidays. Enjoy!
Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 1 box Devil's food cake mix ( you do not need ingredients on back of box )
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- Mix together cake mix, eggs and canola oil. Batter will be on the thicker side.
- Shape into 1 inch balls. Place on parchment covered baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes at 375 degrees. You want them just slightly underdone.
- While baking, cut marshmallows in half width wise. Place on top of hot cookies, cut side down.
- Place in the oven under BROIL just until golden brown, watch carefully so they don't brown.
- Melt 1/2 cup to 1 cup chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl until completely melted.
- Use a fork to add a drizzle over cookies.
Leave a Reply