As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These Homemade Croutons are a delicious and simple recipe for croutons that are perfect for soups, salads, and more!
Give me bread in any form and I am happy. I like my bread sweet and I like it savory. I even like it crunchy. These homemade croutons are a combination of french bread, olive oil, spices, and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. They are delicious and I may have eaten more in one sitting than I care to admit. You will never want to buy croutons at the store again. Homemade croutons are budget friendly and you can adjust the seasonings to your taste. We used a combination of Italian seasoning and garlic powder for this recipe but you can also use thyme, rosemary, black pepper, whatever your prefer! We prefer to have our croutons have a milder spice level but if you really love the flavor of garlic you can add more garlic powder.
Add a little crunch to your favorite soups and salads
One of my favorite parts of a good salad is the crunch from a crouton. These homemade croutons are delicious on top of your favorite salad or your favorite kind of soup like tomato basil or broccoli cheddar. They are even delicious by the handful. 🙂 No matter how you eat these croutons they will be at your table in no time!
How long do homemade croutons last?
Leftover croutons once cooled should be stored in an airtight container and stored for 1-2 weeks. If you choose to add a Tablespoon of grated parmesan or another cheese variety the croutons will only have a shelf life of 2-3 days
How do you make croutons from scratch?
- Cut your french bread in 1 inch cubes. . I prefer to use day old French bread. Most grocery stores sell french bread in their bakery section for less than $2, which is perfect for this recipe.
- Drizzle olive oil on the bread cubes. Add your Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper to the bowl. If desired, you can add a tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese if desired, read above for storage tips. Toss until all bread cubes are well coated. Add a tad more olive oil if needed.
- Bake in a 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, tossing halfway, or until croutons are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- 6 cups french bread cut into 3/4 inch - 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp italian seasoning
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2-3 TBSP grated parmesan cheese, optional most of the time we omit this so these croutons have a longer shelf life
- Cut your french bread into cubes.
- Place in a large bowl and toss with olive oil and spices until well coated. Add a touch more oil if needed.
- Place on a baking sheet. Make sure you don't overcrowd your baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until desired crunchiness is achieved 🙂