Grinch Cookies: a fun cake mix cookie recipe to help celebrate the Christmas season! Perfect for a friendly Grinchmas party!
Every year I host a fun Grinchmas party with my family. It’s a night full of gingerbread house making, Christmas games, yummy food, and watching The Grinch. The version with Jim Carey is our personal favorite, but the newest animated version is just as good! 🙂 Some years we have played volleyball and other years we have added a fun ugly sweater contest, while every year is sometimes a tad different we always have a great time being with each other and eating yummy treats. These Grinch Cookies are perfect for a festive Grinchmas night. Whether you have an annual Grinchmas party or just like to watch the movie with your family these cookies are a yummy treat!
First you will want to start with a basic cake mix cookie recipe, just like our funfetti cake mix cookies, these are simple and only require a few extra ingredients.
GRINCH COOKIES INGREDIENTS:
- White or Vanilla Cake Mix
- Canola Oil
- Green Food Coloring
- Confectioners Sugar
- Red Candy Melts
MIX YOUR COOKIE DOUGH
Start off by mixing your cake mix with eggs, oil and milk. Disregard the ingredients called for on the back of the box. Your batter will be on the thick side.
Make sure you add a few drops of food coloring to you batter and mix again to get that classic Grinch color.
ROLL IN POWDERED SUGAR
Once you mix all your cookie dough ingredients together you will want to roll your cookies in confectioners/powdered sugar. This step is optional but just adds a fun snowy look to the cookies. You can even sprinkle some on top as soon as the cookies come out of the oven.
ADD RED HEART
Once your cookies are done baking and have cooled you can “paint” on some red hearts using red candy melts that have been melted. Let the red chocolate hearts harden before serving, this should only take a few minutes.
- 1 box white or vanilla cake mix (you don't need the ingredients on the box)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 cup red candy melts, melted
- green food coloring
- Mix together cake mix, canola oil and eggs. Batter will be thick. Add a few drops of green coloring and mix together. Add more food coloring until desired color is met.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls or use a 1 inch cookie scoop. Roll dough into confectioners sugar. * If you find your dough is too soft to roll, you can refrigerate for 30 minutes before rolling.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until cookies begin to crack just slightly.
- "Paint on" hearts with your melted candy melts (following the directions on the package)
This post has been updating with new images and updated directions on December 14th, 2020.
If you are hosting a Grinchmas party I bet you would like this fun Grinch Playdough!