As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These Fall Leaf Cut Out Cookies are a fun way to celebrate the coming of fall. Colorful cookie dough and sanding sugar makes these a pretty cookie to enjoy all Fall season.
Fall Leaf Cut Out Cookies
I sure love the Fall season and all the delicious comfort food that comes with it. These fall leaf cut out cookies are such a fun cookie to add to your cookie plate during the cooler weather. The marbled colorful dough is an extra step to these cookies but it’s well worth it! They make a great fall gift.
The flavor of these fall leaf cut out cookies are a cross between a sugar cookie and a short bread cookie. The sugar cookie recipe is our family favorite recipe that we use all the time. It is not a super sweet cookie dough as we typically top it with a delicious buttercream frosting. If you prefer a sweeter cookie base you can add a 1/4 cup more sugar, use a store bought sugar cookie mix, or your favorite homemade version.
How to make these Fall Leaf Cut Out Cookies
- Mix your sugar cookie dough and separate into four different bowls. Add a couple drops off food coloring into your cookie dough batter. I used the colors, yellow, orange, green and red.
- Add dollops of colored sugar cookie dough next to each other and roll out as you would normally. Don’t over roll or your cookie dough will become one solid brown color.
- Using different leaf cookie cutters, cut out various leaf shapes.
- Using a small pairing knife make leaf “veins” in the raw dough and sprinkle with a small amount of gold sanding sugar before baking.
For more delicious cookie recipes try these:
The Perfect Sugar Cookie for Cutouts
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar you can add 1/4-1/2 cup additional sugar for cookies not being topped with icing but I personally don't think it's necessary
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch can lower to 1/4 cup for a slightly softer cookies
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cream together butter, sugar, and salt in a stand mixer with paddle attachment.
- Mix in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add flour, cornstarch, and nutmeg. Mix on low until fully incorporated. Pop in refrigerator for 30 minutes if needed.
- Use a rolling pin to roll all of the cookie dough out to a thickness of 1⁄4 - 1/2 inch on a lightly floured surface. Cut cookie dough into desired shapes using your favorite cookie cutters.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes (depending on thickness) or until edges are very lightly browned. Do not overbake.