Coconut Banana Muffins: the perfect blend of flavors in one delicious muffin!
Almost every weekend my husband and I make sure we have a family breakfast. During the week our schedule is so busy (and my kids tend to be picky) that a lot of times the kids eat dinner before my husband and I. Right now with three young children under the age of 6 this actually works best most nights. My husband and I are able to eat dinner together and catch up on our day while our kids play. As our kids get older we will certainly have dinner as a family each night. Because of weekdays can be so hectic we always make sure to have a family sit down breakfast either on Saturday or Sunday and sometimes both 🙂 My kids absolutely love breakfast. It’s the one time of the day I don’t have to fight with them to eat something. They love rainbow pancakes, lemon coconut poppyseed waffles, and muffins! I recently had a batch of ripe bananas that needed to be used and I decided to mix some of our favorite flavors together. These coconut banana muffins are so delicious and they didn’t last longer than breakfast! This batch makes about 12 muffins and are topped with some delicious shredded coconut that really makes the coconut favor pop!
Coconut Banana Muffins
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp . baking powder
- 1/4 tsp . salt
- 3 ripe bananas , mashed
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar , or table sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp . coconut extract
- 2 TBSP . shredded sweetened coconut
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Whisk together bananas, vegetable oil, unsweetened applesauce, sugar, egg, and coconut extract in a large bowl until well combined. Mix in flour mixture until just moistened
- Divide batter among lined muffin cups and sprinkle with shredded coconut. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
These muffins made my house smell like a day at the beach! They are one of my sons new favorites and he asks for them every time he sees that we have some ripe bananas 🙂