Chewy Chocolate Oreo Truffles
- 1/2 pkg. Cool Mint Oreos blended finely (if you don't like mint, you can sub in the original Oreo)
- 1/2 block 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- Makes 30 or so truffles
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1 T. water
- 1/3 c. cocoa
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 pkg. Holiday Mint M&M's
For the truffles
- Put the Oreos in the blender in two portions. Blend finely so there are no chunks.
- Soften cream cheese in microwave. With a fork, work the cream cheese into the crushed Oreos, making sure everything gets moistened.
- Form into mini balls about 3/4" in diameter.
- Place on a cookie sheet and freeze.
For the cookies
- Cream shortening, sugar, water, and vanilla. Blend in eggs.
- Stir together dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Add to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Chill the dough.
- Working quickly so the dough stays chilled and the truffles don't thaw, grab a truffle and a heaping tablespoonful of dough and form it around the truffle so the truffle is completely covered by the dough.
- Place cookie balls on sheets that have been lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 9 minutes.
- Let cookies cool on a wire rack.
**It's crucial to freeze the Oreo Truffles. If not, the truffles won't hold together when trying to form the cookie dough around them. It's also very important to chill the dough. The dough will be too sticky without it. In the above picture, my dough wasn't chilled quite enough, so I put it back in the fridge for about 15 more minutes.