As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup: a family favorite soup filled with delicious bits of broccoli, carrots, and cheesy flavor. Makes for a great dinner served with bread and a tossed salad.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
One of my favorite parts of the cooler seasons is enjoying a bowl of comforting soup. This broccoli cheddar soup is definitely one of our family favorite recipes alongside our slow cooker sausage ditalini soup, and our quick 30 Minute Taco Soup. This soup is made all in one pot which makes for a less mess dinner. We love to serve this soup with some french bread and a tossed salad to complete our dinner.
Tips for Making Delicious Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Using shredded carrots: to save prep time, we’re using pre-shredded/grated carrots in this soup!
- Grate your own cheese: taking a few minutes to grate your own cheddar cheese makes all the difference in the flavor of this soup! Freshly grated cheese not only has a deeper flavor it melts much easier in this recipe.
- Using an immersion blender: I don’t like extra large broccoli florets or extra long pieces of carrots in my soup so using an immersion blender helps blend the soup, make it a bit thicker, and chop up some of the veggies. We just do a few pulses because we do like a few chunks in our soup but you can do it until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Eat within a few days– because of the dairy in this soup I don’t suggest freezing it. The soup should last up to 4-5 days in the refrigerator. You can either microwave it to reheat it or reheat it on the stovetop.
How to make Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Add 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil to a large stock pot/dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft, about 3- 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic, paprika, mustard, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to the pot. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add in remaining butter and melt. Once melted, add in the flour and whisk to combine. Whisk for a few minutes until the flour is thickened.
- Gradually add in the chicken stock, whisking constantly. Once all the stock has been added, slowly add in the half and half and milk, again whisking constantly as you add. Reduce heat to medium and allow to simmer for 15 minutes or until thickened a bit.
- Add the chopped broccoli florets and matchstick carrots to the soup.
- Allow soup to simmer over low heat for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until broccoli is tender. Stir occasionally.
- Add in the cheese and stir until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 7 Tbsp butter, divided
- 1/2 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion diced
- 2 small garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- pinch of cayenne pepper optional
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 6 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock/broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 6 cups broccoli florets, roughly chopped
- 2 cups matchstick carrots
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- Add 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil to a large heavy bottomed stock pot/dutch oven over medium heat. Add the diced onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Add the minced garlic, paprika, mustard, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to the pot. Cook for another 45 seconds to 1 minute stirring constantly until fragrant.
- Add in remaining 6 tablespoons butter and melt. Once melted, add in the flour and whisk to combine. Cook for 2-4 minutes, whisking constantly, until the flour is thickened.
- Gradually add in the chicken stock, whisking constantly. Once all the stock has been added, gradually add in the half and half and milk, again whisking constantly as you add. Reduce heat to medium low and allow to simmer for 15 minutes or until thickened a bit.
- Add the chopped broccoli florets and matchstick/shredded carrots to the soup.Allow soup to simmer over low heat for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until broccoli is tender. Stir occasionally.
- Add in the cheese and stir until melted. Salt and Pepper to taste.
I absolutely love this recipe. Have tried a few and it was perfect!
You have nutmeg in the ingredients and ceyanne in the instructions both times. You have milk mentioned in the ingredients and I don’t see it listed anywhere in the instructions. I am confused and already in middle of making, hoping it’s not a disaster!
The Cayenne Pepper is just an optional pinch amount if desired! You are right, the milk was missing from the directions. You add the milk at the same time you add the half and half. Updated the recipe as well! It should still turn out delicious!
I love your tip on using shredded carrots. It definitely saved time and had a nice twist to the soup.
Broccoli cheddar soup is my favorite! This is a fabulous recipe can’t wait to make it again!
Creamy and rich, the whole family loved this!
Lauren Kelly says
I’d take this over any other comfort food! It looks incredible!
We love making this broccoli cheddar soup recipe for dinner! So simple and creamy! 🙂