This Blueberry Buckle recipe is a delicious cake bursting with blueberries. It’s perfect for parties and family gatherings!
It’s no secret that blueberries are one of my favorite fruits to bake with! Nothing beats biting into a warm muffin or cake filled with these yummy berries! Every summer my husband, kids, and I head over to my grandmas house where she has at least 100 blueberry trees. We pick enough blueberries to freeze to last throughout the whole winter. You can use fresh blueberries or frozen for this recipe and it will taste the same! This fits recipe fits perfectly in a 9 x 13 inch pan for larger gatherings or even a 8 x 11 inch pan. The cake will be a little thicker the smaller the pan and you will need to keep an eye on it while it’s baking. It may need a longer cooker time in the smaller the pan. The cinnamon and sugar topping is the perfect crunch on this blueberry buckle and definitely everyone’s favorite part!
FOR THE CAKE:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp . baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups blueberries
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 tsp . cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter , cold
- Combine the sugar, shortening, egg, milk, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Pour the mixture in a greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Combine the topping ingredients of sugar, flour, cinnamon and butter until crumbly. I like to place it in a blender and pulse it a few times.
- Sprinkle the topping mixture on top of the cake.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or util a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
*We also found that the cake mixture fits into an 8 in. x 11 in. pan just fine as well. Makes the cake pieces thicker. Just adjust baking time if needed.