Black Forest Cupcakes: these chocolate cupcakes are stuffed and topped with cherry pie filling and a delicious cream cheese frosting. Great for holiday parties and everyday gatherings.
This post is brought to you by Tastefully Simple. All opinions are mine.
The holidays always seems to be a time for delicious meals, appetizers, and desserts. These black forest cupcakes are the perfect sweet treat to add to your holiday spread! They are a tasty compliment to Tastefully Simple’s Holiday Entertaining Ideas. I followed their Mini Black Forest Cakes recipe with a little bit of my own twist. I decided cupcakes would be a fun option for the kids little fingers. My boys loved eating the cherries off the top of their cupcakes and loved that there was a cherry surprise in the middle of them too! I decided to stuff my cupcakes but you don’t have to.
I used Tastefully Simple’s Classy Chocolate Pound Cake Mix as the base to my recipe. This chocolate pound cake is one of my favorites and is so moist! You may remember the Smore’s Parfait and the Ice Cream Cupcakes that were also centered around this delicious cake! Yum! For some of these recipes I swapped out the butter for applesauce and it was just as yummy. For these cupcakes I would stick with the butter as the applesauce may make the muffins too soft.
Once I mixed the chocolate mix together I added a small amount in the bottom on my cupcake liners. I then topped them with about a tablespoon of the cherry pie filling. I made sure to get a couple cherries in there 🙂
I then topped the muffins with more of the chocolate batter and baked in my oven at 325 degrees for about 25 minutes. You may need more or less time depending on your oven.
While the cupcakes were cooling I made a delicious frosting that only required three ingredients: cream cheese, sugar, and Cool Whip. I piped some icing on top of the cupcakes making sure to leave a small “hole” in the middle for the cherry pie filling.
I added some cherry pie filling to the center of the cupcake and shredded some chocolate on the top. I just used a zester.
These cupcakes were so simple to make but they really look like you spent so much time on them! They would be great for a Christmas or New Years Eve Party, Valentines Day, and even everyday gatherings. Simple and sweet!
Black Forest Cupcakes
- 1 package Tastefully Simple Classy Chocolate Pound Cake Mix
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup butter , melted
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 ounces cream cheese , softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Prepare Classy Chocolate Pound Cake Mix according to package directions using water and butter. Place a small amount of cake batter in the bottom of a cupcake liner. Place a tablespoon of cherry pie filling in the middle of the batter. Top with remaining cake mix batter.
- In large mixing bowl, combine thawed whipped topping, softened cream cheese and sugar. Mix until light and fluffy. Place in a piping bag.
- Once cupcakes have cooled, pipe cream filling on top. Top with a small amount of cherry pie filling in the middle of the cupcake. Garnish with some chocolate.
For another delicious holiday cupcake idea you should try these snowflake cupcakes! You won’t believe how simple the chocolate snowflakes are.