As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Banana Cream Pie is bursting with delicious cream filling and bits of fresh banana in every bite. Top with whipped cream for a simple but delicious dessert!
Homemade Banana Cream Pie
Nine times out of ten I will chose to indulge in a piece of pie over a piece of cake. 🙂 Don’t get me wrong, I love a good piece of chocolate cake but my true love is with all things pie. This banana cream pie skips the boxed pudding mix and calls for simple ingredients to make your own homemade cream filling. These simple steps are almost as easy as opening a package of banana pudding, but even more delicious.
WHIPPED CREAM. FRESH BANANAS.
We like to top off our pie with a layer of whipped cream. I prefer to cover my whole pie with whipped cream, either store bought or homemade, but you could also pipe a decorative edge of whipped cream with a 1M baking tip. We also like to add a center of bananas right before serving to impress our guests. 🙂 This also helps to make what kind of pie you are serving more obvious, especially when serving multiple pies at one time, like at Thanksgiving. 🙂
INGREDIENTS FOR HOMEMADE BANANA CREAM PIE
- Pie Crust, baked and cooled
- whipped cream & additional bananas
HOW TO MAKE BANANA CREAM PIE
Banana Cream Pie
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 medium, firm bananas/slightly ripe
- 1 pie crust ( 9 inches ), baked
- whipped cream/cool whip & additional sliced bananas
- Prepare pie crust according to package directions, if using a store bought product. Poke a few holes in the crust to prevent shrinkage before baking. Let pie crust cool.
- In a saucepan, add sugar, flour and salt.
- Stir in milk and mix well.
- Cook over medium-high heat until mixture is thickened and starts to bubble.. this could take up to 15 minutes.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount into egg yolks to help temper the eggs; return all to saucepan.
- Bring to a gentle boil.
- Cook and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add butter and vanilla; cool slightly.
- Slice your bananas and add one layer of bananas to the bottom of your baked and cooled pie crust; pour filling over top of bananas.
- Top with remaining bananas.
- Cool on wire rack for 1 hour.
- Store in the refrigerator, covered lightly with plastic wrap so a film doesn't develop over custard, until chilled, about 4 hours.
- Before serving, top with leftover bananas and cool whip/whipped cream.
One of my favorite desserts! So creamy & so delicious!
This is totally irresistible! Everyone at my house loved it!
Give me all the banana cream pie!! We eat this all year long. It’s always a hit with everyone! Love how creamy it is!